Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Let's Talk About Replica Watches...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Pastafarian, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Well-Known Member

Also - who is this 'we'?

Speak for yourself.

we as in everyone that posts in style forum.

you're in denial if you don't think you're a poser.

2. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

we as in everyone that posts in style forum.

you're in denial if you don't think you're a poser.

We obviously have very different definitions of 'poser'.

3. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

We are all posers here.

Whether it's the poser that buys an off the rack dolce suit or the poser that goes to HK to buy tailor made italian suits.

The poser that wears Edward Green shoes or the poser that buys Paraboot shoes.

Every poster on this forum is a poser of some sort.

The thing about posing is that..... it's an art in itself. To pose with some taste and style would make you seem more, "natural" and less of a poser than someone wearing a big Panerai clock on their wrist. But at the core, we are all posers.

Some are just more subtle than others.

A fake rolex will accomplish the subtle, classy look for me at 1/10th the price of a real one.

I'm not sure you understand what that term means, but I laud you on your obnoxious forwardness. You'll do well here.

4. seattlesf

seattlesf Senior member

Wearing a big Panerai is saying "LOOK AT ME! I'M A DOUCHE"

It's the BMW 3 series coupe of watches.

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/mens-w...g-panerai.html

This is a ridiculous article...just look at the responses. I wear my Panerai every single day and i dont care who notices me or not, it puts a smile on my face. Most people don't even know what a Panerai is, unless you are into watches.

5. Butter

Butter Senior member

We are all posers here.

Whether it's the poser that buys an off the rack dolce suit or the poser that goes to HK to buy tailor made italian suits.

The poser that wears Edward Green shoes or the poser that buys Paraboot shoes.

Every poster on this forum is a poser of some sort.

The thing about posing is that..... it's an art in itself. To pose with some taste and style would make you seem more, "natural" and less of a poser than someone wearing a big Panerai clock on their wrist. But at the core, we are all posers.

Some are just more subtle than others.

A fake rolex will accomplish the subtle, classy look for me at 1/10th the price of a real one.

...I am speechless...

The logic here owns me too much. I have nothing to counter this unparalleled wisdom with.

6. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

Just curious, can you post a pic of your rolex if it's not too much trouble? How many years have you owned it? Is it a Swiss Made replica? Is it holding up?

Sure. I've had it about a year, it runs fine. All the chronograph functions work perfectly. It's heavy like a Rolex, it has the crown laser etched on the crystal, the serial numbers all over, etc, etc. There is no such thing as a Swiss made replica. Some may or may not have Lemania or ETA movements. Who knows -- they're counterfeiting the watch, I'm sure they could etch "ETA" on whatever movement. It is very well made.

The "grades" thing is bull too. There are two grades: Crappy and good. Buy a good one. The crappy ones are really crappy. The good ones are indistinguishable and intended to deceive (holograms, packaging, etc).

PM me if you want to know where I got it.

[​IMG]

p.s. I am the dork who synced the second hand and the chronograph hand. It works like a normal chrono.

7. jim10

jim10 Well-Known Member

If you wear a fake, and your friends, relatives, co-workers, clients, or the woman you're out on a date with ask you: "Is that a real Rolex?", do you (A) lie to them, or (B), embarass yourself by admitting it's a fake?

8. iroh

iroh Senior member

If you wear a fake, and your friends, relatives, co-workers, clients, or the woman you're out on a date with ask you: "Is that a real Rolex?", do you (A) lie to them, or (B), embarass yourself by admitting it's a fake?

Well if they got the balls to ask then obviously they think it is fake, probably because you look poor and act low class.

9. acecow

acecow Senior member

I love A Lange & Sohne watches, but cannot afford their price tags. I almost decided to get a good fake. Not to show off, but for the aesthetics and the style that I couldn't afford otherwise. Then someone on these forums pointed out a Seiko watch to me that looked similar to the L&S watch I so desired. Thanks to that person I now have a watch for about 1% of the price that I like a lot. When I get rich, I will buy the L&S I wanted. But it won't be a fake.

10. echau

echau Senior member

IWC's are universally recognized as the best watches. Rich in history and prestige.

You have got to be kidding me...
    Many watch enthusiasts will agree, the big three are PP, AP, and VC.

11. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

What is it with the recent crop of idiots from Canada? Have we bred a fresh batch of them up here or something?

12. WhateverYouLike

WhateverYouLike Senior member

What is it with the recent crop of idiots from Canada? Have we bred a fresh batch of them up here or something?

[​IMG]

13. Butter

Butter Senior member

Who's AP again?

14. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

This is correct. Those have been considered the three best watchmakers for a very long time.

Myself, I'm actually more partial to Lange and Jaeger-LeCoultre than AP and VC. JLC especially provides immense horological bang-for-the-buck.

15. spertia

spertia Senior member

Who's AP again?

Audemars Piguet.