1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Talk About Replica Watches...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Pastafarian, Sep 30, 2010.

1. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

What is it with the recent crop of idiots from Canada? Have we bred a fresh batch of them up here or something?

2. WhateverYouLike

WhateverYouLike Senior member

What is it with the recent crop of idiots from Canada? Have we bred a fresh batch of them up here or something?

[​IMG]

3. Butter

Butter Senior member

You have got to be kidding me...
    Many watch enthusiasts will agree, the big three are PP, AP, and VC.

Who's AP again?

4. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

You have got to be kidding me...
    Many watch enthusiasts will agree, the big three are PP, AP, and VC.

This is correct. Those have been considered the three best watchmakers for a very long time.

Myself, I'm actually more partial to Lange and Jaeger-LeCoultre than AP and VC. JLC especially provides immense horological bang-for-the-buck.

5. spertia

spertia Senior member

Who's AP again?

Audemars Piguet.

6. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

Who's AP again?

Audemars Piguet. Currently most famous for the Royal Oak line of watches...

7. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

I love A Lange & Sohne watches, but cannot afford their price tags. I almost decided to get a good fake. Not to show off, but for the aesthetics and the style that I couldn't afford otherwise. Then someone on these forums pointed out a Seiko watch to me that looked similar to the L&S watch I so desired. Thanks to that person I now have a watch for about 1% of the price that I like a lot. When I get rich, I will buy the L&S I wanted. But it won't be a fake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You don't need to buy fake to get the aesthetic. This is what I've learned.

8. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Senior member

My advice is to stick to a plastic Swatch until you learn something about watches, you clearly know nothing.

9. acecow

acecow Senior member

Or this. I have a black strap, steel case. It looks even closer to the L&S.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. marco_rol

marco_rol Senior member

If you wear a fake, and your friends, relatives, co-workers, clients, or the woman you're out on a date with ask you: "Is that a real Rolex?", do you (A) lie to them, or (B), embarass yourself by admitting it's a fake?

So OP, answer the man's question: (a) do you lie (my guess) or, (b) do you fess up like a man and tell the truth (I'm doubting it)

11. marco_rol

marco_rol Senior member

A fake rolex will accomplish the subtle, classy look for me at 1/10th the price of a real one.

I highly doubt that anything you do will accomplish the subtle, classy look you desire for any amount of money.

12. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

So OP, answer the man's question: (a) do you lie (my guess) or, (b) do you fess up like a man and tell the truth (I'm doubting it)

He probably won't, but I will. I don't go on dates (I'm married), but if someone says they like my watch, I'm all like "Yeah, it's fake, check it out." and then they usually comment on how heavy it is. If anything, it scores points with people. It's a way better conversation starter than the merits of a hand-joined collar versus a machine-sewn one. :p

13. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

This isn't a fair comparison though. If someone was having Chan make a suit and then stitching a Kiton label on it, sure.

A better one would be whether those 'homage' watches are considered replicas or stand alone pieces.

There is a difference between a "style" and a "replica". There's certainly nothing wrong with buying a watch similar in style to a Rolex, but it's vain and ugly to buy a replica Rolex.

A "shirt shoulder" or soft shoulder has no intrinsic quality to it that makes it better or more durable than a padded shoulder.

So why the craze about it?

It's an inherent Neopolitan tailoring trait, so why have a non-neopolitan tailor replicate the look?
    Now that's POSING

14. marco_rol

marco_rol Senior member

It's a way better conversation starter than the merits of a hand-joined collar versus a machine-sewn one. :p

[​IMG] I'm sure

15. Icarus

Icarus Senior member

I am disappoint

16. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

my beater is this seiko

love seikos
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. gameover98

gameover98 Active Member

i tend to prefer "homage" watches to replicas. i've owned some replicas in the past but generally feel you can get higher quality/dollar from companies that make similar looking watches. seiko, orient are great examples.

btw i always told people that they were fake.

18. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Well-Known Member

I can't imagine someone confronting me like that in real life. And if they did I am not one of those people that feel inclined to answer every question.

19. entrero

entrero Senior member

20. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Well-Known Member

Oh America...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]