• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some long term grinder reports. The Aergrind, which is Feldgrind's travel, Aeropress-friendly grinder, is agricultural in build quality. Mine is the first version, and there appears to be a newer version now. Nevertheless, unless space is at a premium, I'd avoid it.

I got the updated, metal lid, made in UK version and love it FWIW.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been packing my Kinu M47 (non-traveller) for trips and about half the time I need to explain to TSA what the hell it is. Kinu has a travel-sized grinder now too, and the main difference is that the body is made from aluminum instead of steel.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Received the order from Bird Rock. Surprised the bag did not have a two way valve. Thought it was pretty much the norm for packaging beans. Will open it next week after a rest and finishing what I’m currently drinking.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Received the order from Bird Rock. Surprised the bag did not have a two way valve. Thought it was pretty much the norm for packaging beans. Will open it next week after a rest and finishing what I’m currently drinking.

Wait, really? Mine always do. It should be at the top of the bag near the zip-off opening.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Found it near the bottom of the bag and it’s a different style valve. 5 perforations in an embossed circle. Not one central opening and not located at the top just under the opening. It was covered over with printing

Last edited:

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am lucky enough to hit Birdrock about once a week. Great coffee... Annoying customers.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this Bird Rock talk... realized I will be in Del Mar, CA in 10 days for an offsite, going to definitely check out the Torrey Pines location!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Bird Rock is very good. Brewed a cup this morning, liked it. Need to tweak something but not sure what, still it was very good.
Made two espressos this afternoon. First shot was good, slightly acidic but in a good way. Coarsened the grind and got a nice, sweeter second shot.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why isn't post-roast blending a thing? At least I don't seem to see it offered as an option anywhere I go.

Been experimenting with this a bit in the office where we have a number of bean options, but none of them are quite right. The highest quality coffee we have is not bad, but it is just way too light for me. I find that brewing it in like a 6:1 ratio with a darker roast really mellows it out and gives a much better cup.

Never seen a shop doing this--everything is either single origin or a pre-roast blend--but it seems like a little customization you could upcharge for

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why isn't post-roast blending a thing? At least I don't seem to see it offered as an option anywhere I go.

Been experimenting with this a bit in the office where we have a number of bean options, but none of them are quite right. The highest quality coffee we have is not bad, but it is just way too light for me. I find that brewing it in like a 6:1 ratio with a darker roast really mellows it out and gives a much better cup.

Never seen a shop doing this--everything is either single origin or a pre-roast blend--but it seems like a little customization you could upcharge for
Is that in the US? In Australia it is pretty common, you can see coffee forums for baristas exchanging recipes. Some also go Syrian: same bean, light and heavy roasts blended together, which is not a bad idea when you have a bean that has a totally different profile at either end (the classic being citrus vs caramel).

I like to roast a really pungent monsooned bean quite dark (or even pan fry it, if I find the time, to keep the oils in) and then add a bit to a more even Latam type origin to a light-medium roast. A really nice breakfast option in autumn. The monsooned bean by itself will be too pungent and need to be cut with something (milk or other beans).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is a thing, it is how most coffee "blends" work, especially espresso outside of the US. Blends were much more common, but there seems to be hype around "single origin" everything these days. Most single origin espresso sucks.

brianfranklinnc

Reaction score

almost any blend you buy from any coffee roaster is a post-roast blend. because different coffee varietals require different temperatures, air flow settings, and roast times, it is near impossible to blend pre-roast with any decent results.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads