• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

jack webb

Reaction score

Attachments

• poster.gif
    poster.gif
    98.3 KB · Views: 114

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife got me a coffee subscription for Christmas. First up is one from Topeka, Kansas (Flatlander Signature Blend from PT’s Coffee Roasting).

0D08CCA5-69D5-4029-8AC8-AB749455B453.jpeg

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Which service are you using? I did Mixto last year and was reasonably happy with it, but I'm terrible about actually doing the reviews so I definitely didn't optimize my experience.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate thoughtful reviews… yet rarely can motivate to do them myself, unless it’s an extraordinary experience one way or the other… 🤷‍♂️

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a video by Lance Hedrick recently where he's sorting out bad beans before grinding, and then sifting the chaff out of the grounds after grinding, and says that it makes a big difference and even showed a blind test where the differences were pretty apparent, so I had to try it out. Here's the video:

Picking out beans is sort of tedious, and I haven't spent too much time on this: I mainly toss the really deformed looking ones, as well as the ones with empty shells. I haven't found too many light-colored quakers yet. This also feels wasteful to the cheap person in me especially for a really expensive coffee.

Sifting out the chaff after grinding is also tedious and messy. Basically you shake the grounds so that the chaff migrates to the top, and then blow across the top of the grounds to remove the chaff. I do this over a large plate, but a good amount still ends up on my counter. No need to blow very hard too: like maybe half or quarter of what you might use to blow out a candle: the chaff is very light and blows off easily. Anyway, repeat this as many times you care to: I do it until my water's finished boiling.

So what are the results? Well I think the cup it produces is less astringent, more round in mouthfeel, and a little sweeter. You can also steep the chaff you collected above in hot water, and taste the chaff tea that produces to get an idea of what off-flavors you're removing. To me, it tastes like overextracted tea with that astringent kind of taste you can get from black tea.

I've noticed that different bean varietals and roast levels will produce different levels of chaff. The amount of chaff for the coffee I tried (a Colombian Gesha from Paradise) is on the low side. I've seen light-roasted Ethiopians throw off tons of chaff, and I imagine this technique will be more effective on those kinds of beans.

Has anyone else tried this, and what did you think?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a video by Lance Hedrick recently where he's sorting out bad beans before grinding, and then sifting the chaff out of the grounds after grinding, and says that it makes a big difference and even showed a blind test where the differences were pretty apparent, so I had to try it out. Here's the video:

Picking out beans is sort of tedious, and I haven't spent too much time on this: I mainly toss the really deformed looking ones, as well as the ones with empty shells. I haven't found too many light-colored quakers yet. This also feels wasteful to the cheap person in me especially for a really expensive coffee.

Sifting out the chaff after grinding is also tedious and messy. Basically you shake the grounds so that the chaff migrates to the top, and then blow across the top of the grounds to remove the chaff. I do this over a large plate, but a good amount still ends up on my counter. No need to blow very hard too: like maybe half or quarter of what you might use to blow out a candle: the chaff is very light and blows off easily. Anyway, repeat this as many times you care to: I do it until my water's finished boiling.

So what are the results? Well I think the cup it produces is less astringent, more round in mouthfeel, and a little sweeter. You can also steep the chaff you collected above in hot water, and taste the chaff tea that produces to get an idea of what off-flavors you're removing. To me, it tastes like overextracted tea with that astringent kind of taste you can get from black tea.

I've noticed that different bean varietals and roast levels will produce different levels of chaff. The amount of chaff for the coffee I tried (a Colombian Gesha from Paradise) is on the low side. I've seen light-roasted Ethiopians throw off tons of chaff, and I imagine this technique will be more effective on those kinds of beans.

Has anyone else tried this, and what did you think?

My footman does this for me.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suggestions for a brewer to use at work? Doing dishes is a pain in the neck there so I'd rather not doing something I need to rigorously clean after every use like a French press or Aeropress. Just go for another retention dripper (Clever etc) like I use at home?

nescafe-eyzdwjangbmehxz6s1sa.png

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9E560B09-31A9-4508-990B-1501FBF9BB75.jpeg
3BA43D12-6FC7-4479-8867-2F94F05133F6.jpeg

^Yesterday I took delivery of a Rocket R58 and Eureka Specialita.

Kopped from Seattle Coffee Gear as “Open Box” special. When the units arrived, they appeared to have never been used. Literally BNIB.

The grinder did not have original manual, the instructions were a print out. The grinder appears to have been a display or something, it seems to have never had coffee run through it.

The R58 was in original box with all the accessories. Appears to have been a “buyers remorse” purchase for someone who returned the unit. There was some residual water in the box causing mild moisture in and around the packing. It appears SCG did a final test to make sure the unit functioned properly before shipping which would explain this.

FWIW, I originally planned on kopping a Linea Mini. But this option presented itself and I was able to kop a grinder and espresso machine for half the cost of a Linea Mini.

All in all I am pleased.

Cheers!

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you fired them up yet?
I bought a Stagg Dripper and have really enjoyed it the three times I've used it. Went with the recipe on the box which is fine. I've noticed the coffee it produces is super super hot.
My lineup makers are: Nespresso Inissia, Aeropress, Hario Switch, Stagg, Baratza Encore at home. Nespresso virtuo line at the office.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads