• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

IronRiceBowl

Reaction score
So does anyone think the CO2 filters in the Friis Coffee Vaults do anything? I replace mine every month but I'm still skeptical.

I also have an interesting experience: I bought two bags from Barrington Coffee (a malabar monsoon and the Dodora Double from Ethiopia). Both have been prepared in the Hario Switch but here's the weird thing! Whenever I brew the Ethiopia, the coffee doesn't fully drain from the Switch! There will be about 20-30 ml that is just stuck.

Are you speaking about the amount of liquid you pour in vs the quantity of liquid in the actual beverage after you're done brewing? Or clogging like A Y was referring to?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That reminds me, there's a trick James Hoffman mentioned in his Clever video: pour the water in first, and then add the coffee. This is believed to keep the fines from sticking to the filter and clogging it, so when you drain it, it goes very quickly. I've tried it and it really works!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got my coffee setup going and really enjoying my morning cup these days. I make a 30oz pot using 50 grams of coffee. It takes me back to my coffee shop days and really being able to taste the various berry notes, cocoa, or whatever tastes come from various beans. Heading to a local shop tomorrow to buy some samples before getting on their biweekly shipping schedule.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That reminds me, there's a trick James Hoffman mentioned in his Clever video: pour the water in first, and then add the coffee. This is believed to keep the fines from sticking to the filter and clogging it, so when you drain it, it goes very quickly. I've tried it and it really works!
Oh that's smart. Like a syphon brew.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've seen this video and I will say I have never in the 10+ years of using a Clever had it clog. I suspect it could be a grind size issue, or trying to brew too much coffee in it. I do 17g of coffee to 250g of water and grind at about drip size.

I will say I did buy a sweet Marias version of the Clever that had this weird washable filter in it and it ALWAYS clogged, nothing I could do to stop it. It went in the garbage.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here’s a shot of what it looks like emptied.
EDA1E3BB-98A5-4CA0-85E4-0226D3836008.jpeg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you speaking about the amount of liquid you pour in vs the quantity of liquid in the actual beverage after you're done brewing? Or clogging like A Y was referring to?
It's clogging. I always figured the fines clogging the brew process up was a myth like world peace or SFer's shoes falling apart on them.

I did grind the Ethiopia a bit more coarsely and it seems to work.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Finally got my coffee setup going and really enjoying my morning cup these days. I make a 30oz pot using 50 grams of coffee. It takes me back to my coffee shop days and really being able to taste the various berry notes, cocoa, or whatever tastes come from various beans. Heading to a local shop tomorrow to buy some samples before getting on their biweekly shipping schedule.
30oz of coffee is a **** load of coffee. Do you consume it all yourself?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
30oz of coffee is a **** load of coffee. Do you consume it all yourself?

Yea. Used to be more but have lowered it in the past year.

Finally got into the local coffee shop and was delighted to see they had roast dates on their bags. EDIT: Don't seem to need to rest my coffee.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, I used to drink much more as well... Honestly, coffee resting isn't worth thinking about. Most places don't even put coffee on the shelf quickly enough for it to be a concern.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen this video and I will say I have never in the 10+ years of using a Clever had it clog. I suspect it could be a grind size issue, or trying to brew too much coffee in it. I do 17g of coffee to 250g of water and grind at about drip size.

Mine didn't clog but it did go from taking 1-2 minutes to drain to less than 30 seconds. It sounds like my grind size is finer than yours too.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to write about this for a while, but I tried out Cometeer recently, and I like it. They ship you frozen coffee concentrate in recylable aluminum capsules that are usable in Keurigs, but I used them the main way they recommend: put the frozen slug of coffee in a cup and add 225g of 180F water to it. They use coffee from many of the well-known roasters including George Howell, Square Mile, and Bird Rock, grind it with an industrial roller grinder (which is better than any home or shop grinder in terms of grind distribution control), brew the concentrate and then freeze it. This means the coffee should be as fresh as if you had made it on the spot. It's not too expensive at $64 for 32 capsules, or $2/cup. The first pack is $48/32 capsules.

The brew style is very smooth, sweet, and balanced. For my tastes, it's almost a little boring, but it's excellent, and generally better than almost any cafe pourover I've had. They have various styles of coffee, and I tried the single-origin light roast pack which had two Ethiopian washed coffees, a Brazilian natural, and something from Central America.

If you want to use it in a Keurig, people recommend defrosting the capsule overnight in the fridge because the Keurig won't be able to melt the coffee slug completely.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’d really like to know what third party nespresso capsules are worthwhile. There’s a lot out there but none seem better than nespresso itself.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has got nothing to do with being cheap. I’m looking for better coffee. I’d pay a premium if it exists you dimwit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads