• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a Keurig at my office but the CEO, CFO, and myself all have our own Nespresso machines. Nespresso is much better than Keurig.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you guys drink and like? How do you make it and take it?
Depends so much on the time of day.

In the early hours I want a lighter blend. By the afternoon I want it deeper, richer, and stronger. In the evening I switch to tea.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a new brewer, the Tricolate. It's basically a no-brainer percolation brewer: if you like pourover without the fuss, this is your brewer. So far, it's yielded very tasty, clear, but slightly diluted brews, mostly because it uses a 45.5g/1L brew ratio instead of the 60g/1L most people use with a V60. This gives it higher extraction, but with more diluted flavor.

It's a little pricey at $75 to check out on a whim, too.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just had my first espresso and tonic (never even knew they existed until I saw ed post about them)...it is delightful.

Or at least as close as I could get to real espresso with whatever beans I have right now and my fellow prismo. Had been meaning to give it a go and saw some decent tonic on sale at the store last night.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just had my first espresso and tonic (never even knew they existed until I saw ed post about them)...it is delightful.

Or at least as close as I could get to real espresso with whatever beans I have right now and my fellow prismo. Had been meaning to give it a go and saw some decent tonic on sale at the store last night.
Did you also add a dash of bitters too?

They really are delightful in summer aka 8 months of the year for me.

Waiting for my coffee at a cafe now and saw they had the switch set so i bought one

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you also add a dash of bitters too?

They really are delightful in summer aka 8 months of the year for me.

Waiting for my coffee at a cafe now and saw they had the switch set so i bought one
First brew was with old beans so...

20g at about a 15 on the Baratza Encore. 240g of water for 2 minutes.

Kind of falling flat ngl. But I don't know if I should grind finer or what. Hario said medium grind.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First brew was with old beans so...

20g at about a 15 on the Baratza Encore. 240g of water for 2 minutes.

Kind of falling flat ngl. But I don't know if I should grind finer or what. Hario said medium grind.

20g/240 is way too high, and you're probably really underextracting, which is made even worse with old beans. Try 20/330 instead or 60g/1L water. James Hoffman's Clever brew method should work fine for the Switch.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only way to drink espresso other than straight is correcto!

Espresso & Sambuca !

My preferred method at every italian cafe we went to, never fails, great way to start the day!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
AY beat me to it. Use a different ratio for 20g. 20/300g to 20/330g water.
Regulate water temp to degree of roast. Higher temp with lighter roasts and lower temps with dark roasts. Hard to get the best from old beans.

Reactions: A Y

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roasting day. Beautiful NorCal weather.

3447D136-E3BA-4B75-80F3-7F995CC67D48.jpeg

Attachments

• 0C97CE81-5091-402C-AFFA-DF5A005D4BB1.jpeg
    0C97CE81-5091-402C-AFFA-DF5A005D4BB1.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 92

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what is weird is that's the recipe Hario includes in their instructions!
Change the beans and try again. Beans need around 5 days rest from roast date before they are best for brewing. If that variable isn’t to your liking, change the recipe. Coffee is fickle and particular to your tastes. Someone else may like what you didn’t and vice versa.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Change the beans and try again. Beans need around 5 days rest from roast date before they are best for brewing. If that variable isn’t to your liking, change the recipe. Coffee is fickle and particular to your tastes. Someone else may like what you didn’t and vice versa.
Yeah the beans were roasted start of May. Today I did 18g and 315g of water. It was much better but there was still something lacking. Also it turns out 315g is as much water as I can use because I peeked at the Switch and the water was about to spill over the top were it not for the filter.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah the beans were roasted start of May. Today I did 18g and 315g of water. It was much better but there was still something lacking. Also it turns out 315g is as much water as I can use because I peeked at the Switch and the water was about to spill over the top were it not for the filter.
Hate it when that happens. I'm half way through a bag and the coffee this weekend was off from previous brews of last week. Two bad cups. Brewed with hotter water today and was much better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads