• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve been on the coffee train since work from home started. Can’t recommend Black & White roasters enough, particularly if you’re interested in anaerobic coffees and more fruit note coffees. I’ve tried many brands (Onxy, Sey, Partners, Howel, etc) and they’ve been phenomenal.
Black and White sounds interesting, I'll check them out. I think it was @A Y or @patrickBOOTH who recommended the Paradise Coffee rare series subscription and one bag in and i think it was a great investment

Reactions: A Y

svf

Reaction score
Joe Bean is still open, however they have closed the bar, which sucks. I was there picking up coffee (beans) yesterday, and they are just trying to focus on wholesale and whole bean sales which makes sense. Their cold brew cans are pretty good too and worth try.

-DL

Yeah, I picked up some of the Joe Bean cold brew cans over the summer. Less attractive now that the temperature is dropping. Fuego has a great deal on beans, both Bearclaw espresso blend and Brazilian single-order are 5# for $75 with curbside or dash-in pickup, so I've been going there for the last few months.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been on the coffee train since work from home started. Can’t recommend Black & White roasters enough, particularly if you’re interested in anaerobic coffees and more fruit note coffees. I’ve tried many brands (Onxy, Sey, Partners, Howel, etc) and they’ve been phenomenal.
Onyx was one of the very few bright spots on my trip to Arkansas. There was also a pretty good breakfast spot.
That was it...

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Onyx was one of the very few bright spots on my trip to Arkansas. There was also a pretty good breakfast spot.
That was it...
Crystal Bridges .

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crystal Bridges .
Yeah, honorable mention to Alice's place.
My MAGA-quag friend that I was visiting for his kid's "weddin" wouldn't stop there when I asked as we drove by.
Even though she's a Walton, a family that he worships, she is "the bad one". And a druggy.
So, in the real world she is the cool one.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I recently got back into the hobby. It’s been about 4 years since I sold my Cafe & Coffee Roastry. I bought all the supplies a year ago and it sat in a cabinet collecting dust. Yesterday I decided to change that and took the plunge. This was the only type of coffee we served, so the muscle memory was still there. The results: an oily fruit & floral forward brew.

Pour Over: Bee House Ceramic dripper
Filters: Melitta #2 White
Server: Hario Glass V60
Kettle: Hario Buono Slow Pour
Grind: Fine
Coffee: Ethiopian Single Origin Unwashed
Served: Neat

75EAA78F-B2A9-4673-8781-C96386893FCE.jpeg

3B43F65F-AE89-4F91-804C-F91FE36CCFB9.jpeg

EFB9AA04-06C4-4F62-8197-A51B8F981745.jpeg

amiga505

Reaction score
I find myself drinking coffee less and less frequently... it's been what, perhaps two weeks now since I had a cup? Few years ago I could not imagine myself stopping, especially that first morning cup, the ritualistic significance of it... But now this seems to be happening naturally, I think I am loosing taste for it. And I must say, I feel better in my stomach, digestion improved overall, and I stopped having the caffeine 'pit' - this tense, dull sensation about after lunch where all the energy seems to be drained from me. I switched to black tea completely, mostly Ceylon and Assam, sweet, sometimes with milk. Even this I'd like to cut down to a few cups per day at most.

When I did drink coffee, pour over (called in Germany 'filter coffee'), French press, Turkish or Italian oven-top maker style were at different times my preferred methods of preparation, with Maragogipe and Jamaica Blue Mountain the favourite kinds of coffee. One thing I consistently disliked was espresso from a proper big machines they have at cafes; no matter how good the coffee, the roast, the grind and the skill of the maker, this was always too concentrated for my taste.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
French press Coffee is also my preferred Coffee method.
And a good Tea is an amazing thing.
Both can be enjoyed leisurely with a cake or toast.

svf

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the flow control mod for E61 group espresso machines (I have an Alex Duetto II)? I realize this may be a bit too far down the rabbit hole (I'll ask on the home-barista and coffeegeek forums as well), but I'm thinking of diving in, since for only $200 you upgrade to paddle-like control. I don't want to lose the simplicity of the E61 for the mornings when I can barely open my eyes. But for single origins, this could be a nice variable to play with.

amiga505

Reaction score
French press Coffee is also my preferred Coffee method.
And a good Tea is an amazing thing.
Both can be enjoyed leisurely with a cake or toast.

In my experience, even in the Ukraine or Russia, traditional tea-drinking countries, it is practically impossible to find decent cup of tea while out in the city, let alone when confined to the office building. Good coffee, on the other hand, is much easier to get on the go. In Germany the situation is even more dire (the teahouses, however, do exist, if far and in between, there's an amazing place in Hamburg's Altona district which even serves afternoon tea with all the proper fireworks). This is one of the reasons I had to limit my tea intake to home for the most part - I am dead serious about my tea. I tried to set up the whole works at the office, but somehow, I suspect the water, the same blends which produced excellent results at home were a rather poor brew in the office. On top of that, the items from my works, left in a communal kitchen, began to disappear slowly. Believe it or not, the situation changed since they introduced a new brand of packaged tea-leaves at the office, which, combined with the same water, gave unexpectedly good result. That, and the fact that due anti-pandemic measures I spend significantly more time at home, has contributed to my shift to tea I reckon.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find myself drinking coffee less and less frequently... it's been what, perhaps two weeks now since I had a cup?

I can concur with you. When I operated my cafe, I was already long past drinking coffee; actually preferred to eat it instead fresh from our commercial roaster. By the time we sold it I went over a year without a single cup of coffee. I eased myself back into it, only having coffee (regular drip) on the weekends. Today I have a cup every other day, because since weening myself off the bean, it acts as a super laxative :lol: TMI? :fonz:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm lazy and just use an Nespresso machine to make espressos for my coffee.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm lazy and just use an Nespresso machine to make espressos for my coffee.

We have one of those at my cigar lounge. From someone who use to be in the industry, I must say I liked way more then that Lavazza espresso machine we had at Ferrari.

lavazza.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads