• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
So Nespresso now has a machine capable of pour-over coffee.

Mankind deserves to go extinct

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Nespresso now has a machine capable of pour-over coffee.

Amazing crema in that carafe.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Amazing crema in that carafe.
Here's my thoughts about this. (Yes, I know how badly everyone wanted to know them).

So much of the coffee-making process is mechanized anyway. I have been to cafes where they have mechanical pour over devices that proudced excellent coffee. I know that isn't the same as inserting a pod but really, how much more work is it to measure beans and put them in a Mahlkonig and then start a pour over machine?

I have no real intention of buying a Nespresso pour-over-capable-machine but I don't know that it merely being a machine is enough to say it's no good. And considering how inconsistent pour-over coffee can be, this is probably on a technical level an upgrade.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no real intention of buying a Nespresso pour-over-capable-machine but I don't know that it merely being a machine is enough to say it's no good. And considering how inconsistent pour-over coffee can be, this is probably on a technical level an upgrade.

I was mostly being snarky since pourover doesn't have crema.

But I think this machine falls into a different category than Nespresso. It's hard to make decent espresso without a lot of equipment and skill, and Nespresso solves that problem very nicely, but with some cost (higher per weight cost and extra packaging). But unlike espresso, it's relatively easy and affordable, even with pourover, to make a nice cup of brewed coffee. A Clever, French press, or Aeropress are cheap and simple devices that are forgiving. If you want to get fancy, you can get a Baratza Encore, but even with a cheap grinder, brewed coffee is still pretty good. So I don't see the point of this machine other than to compete against Keurig, which is itself pretty pointless already. This machine also restricts the variety of coffee you can use in it, which to me is the fun part of single-serve brew: you can easily sample so many different kinds of coffee.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this was a joke when I first got it as part of their Hawaiian subscription series, but it's actually very delicious. The cinnamon and nutmeg notes are the most prominent, and it's got a lot of ripe fruit sweetness in it too. The way it's made is that the coffee is fermented anaerobically (part of the normal milling process) with the spices. It's very expensive though at $25 for 4 oz. Coffee Review also gave it a score of 93.

https://paradiseroasters.com/collec...anaerobic?mc_cid=6c6a5cf9e4&mc_eid=9cbe4711fd

The CR review: https://www.coffeereview.com/review...naerobic/?mc_cid=6c6a5cf9e4&mc_eid=9cbe4711fd

shrink1061

Reaction score
Not sure if I’ve ever contributed here, but I probably fall into the coffee nut category.

having played with many cheaper single boiler and HX machines over the years I was sick of temp surfing and instability so finally bought my “endgame” machine and picked up a dual boiler expobar.

Except that was actually 6 years ago and it’s given me years of loyal service producing maybe 1-3 flat whites per day.

the grinder journey was similar, worked up through the cheap ones and ended up with a huge mazzer. When Eureka finally released the Specialita, it was my dream home grinder. On-demand, touchscreen, compact, quiet, excellent grind speed and very very low retention. Big enough burrs to allow for good uniformity and even extraction. It’s been an excellent Grinder for the last year or so.

2AC9F4FD-7D51-4CCE-90F3-4A205F29C3FD.jpeg

80851C28-BAF8-413D-859C-05D4AD2E39EC.jpeg

Oh and the machine is plumbed in! Because why wouldn’t you!

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a Breville Barista Express. Easily paid for itself in a year. Use Lavazza beans. Highly recommend it.

svf

Reaction score
10 years ago my mid-life crisis was an Alex Duetto II w/a Baratza Vario grinder. My wife won't let me plumb it on the kitchen counter, but I drilled a hole in the top and added a funnel so I don't have to take the top off to refill it, so it's not that bad. 4 high-quality shots a day and I wonder how I ever functioned w/o this. Rochester has some nice local roasters, although I started w/Metropolis Redline (Chicago) and occasionally splurge w/a George Howell.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 years ago my mid-life crisis was an Alex Duetto II w/a Baratza Vario grinder. My wife won't let me plumb it on the kitchen counter, but I drilled a hole in the top and added a funnel so I don't have to take the top off to refill it, so it's not that bad. 4 high-quality shots a day and I wonder how I ever functioned w/o this. Rochester has some nice local roasters, although I started w/Metropolis Redline (Chicago) and occasionally splurge w/a George Howell.

Rochester NY or MN?

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NY. Joe Bean started things off, and now we have Fuego and Glen Edith, which are both very solid. Ugly Duck has potential as well.

Oh ****, another Rochesterian? Joe Bean is great. I haven't been there since covid struck though. Looks like they're selling things online now which is awesome.

I moved here from ND a couple years back and would order all the time from Spyhouse, which is an awesome roaster in Minneapolis (speaking of MN). Still do from time to time, but I'd rather support local if I can. The ROC needs more love.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh ****, another Rochesterian? Joe Bean is great. I haven't been there since covid struck though. Looks like they're selling things online now which is awesome.

I moved here from ND a couple years back and would order all the time from Spyhouse, which is an awesome roaster in Minneapolis (speaking of MN). Still do from time to time, but I'd rather support local if I can. The ROC needs more love.

Joe Bean is still open, however they have closed the bar, which sucks. I was there picking up coffee (beans) yesterday, and they are just trying to focus on wholesale and whole bean sales which makes sense. Their cold brew cans are pretty good too and worth try.

-DL

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads