• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks, I'll do a bit more research into Cafelat Robot & Nepresso.
I have a Baratza Encore and from a quick google search, most ppl seem to recommend upgrading that for espresso.
I too have an encore. I do not have an espresso machine but i can see that it's probably not consistent enough for espresso.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got my Espro pourover thing, and it's going to require a different technique than the Hario V60 I've been using. For one, it's very narrow, and the folds of the paper filter are pretty deep relative to the diameter of the filter holder, so it feels kind of crowded. It's hard to swirl when you prebloom and it's tough to stir too. It does drain very fast, and 20g/333mL coffee/water does pretty much go down in about 2 minutes as they promised. I use the tabless Hario filters in the V60, which also drains almost as fast, so this is not a big deal for me.

I feel like my first brew using the James Hoffman technique is a little underextracted, so I need to play with it more: their recommended ratio of 52g/1000mL (vs. 60g/1000mL for my first brew) will force more extraction, so I'll try that the next time. Their recommended water temp is pretty low at around 200F (I'm at 210), but since it drains so fast, I guess heat retention shouldn't be a big problem.

The paper comes in a tightly nested bundle, and they want you to remove the outermost layer first, but it's hard to separate the filters without also distorting them. Hopefully more practice will help with this. The paper also has a distinctive smell when you wet it but I'm not sure if it affects the coffee.

The filter holder itself is metal and feels solid, and there's a removable silicone grip on top that lets you hold it without burning your fingers. It works, but it's a little clumsy and I'd prefer a handle instead.

Last edited:

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A long, long time ago I had this amazing cup of coffee at my hotel in Chiapas. I told the owner it was one of the best cups I‘d ever had, and he said “Thank you! My brother grew it, he will be happy to hear that!”
That's one of the best regions for coffee from Mexico.

Chiapas is the only region in the Americas that produces coffee I seek out. I typically like African beans, but I had a great bag from Chiapas not too long ago that made me a convert. I have some right now from a local roaster that are quite nice.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chiapas is the only region in the Americas that produces coffee I seek out. I typically like African beans, but I had a great bag from Chiapas not too long ago that made me a convert. I have some right now from a local roaster that are quite nice.
Kona and geishas somehow beneath you

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More like above. I’m talking about what I keep around the house for an everyday cup. I have enough of a palate to warrant drinking decent coffee, but I’m not enough of a connoisseur to spend on Kona for daily consumption.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More like above. I’m talking about what I keep around the house for an everyday cup. I have enough of a palate to warrant drinking decent coffee, but I’m not enough of a connoisseur to spend on Kona for daily consumption.
Got it. Fwiw a lot of colombians have really rich jasmine flavors and are quite accessible. Ive found konas are exquisitely floral. They're mainly expensive because of us wage and workplace requirements which is fine also kind of puts into stark relief how largely exploitative thr industry is. I think you'd like kona if you're willing to drop 50 for 8oz from Hula Daddy. Geishas on the otherhand are just complex and need a pourover.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the traditional Kona coffee: too boring, like JBM. The new stuff other regions on the Big Island are very exciting and good though.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the traditional Kona coffee: too boring, like JBM. The new stuff other regions on the Big Island are very exciting and good though.
Got some maui when i was in Hawaii that blew my mind. Basically all of it is good so long as the beans are not burned. Btw @MrG if you ever go to Your Dekalb Farmer's Market they have a good Kona even if it's a bit toasty. Their other beans are good but you can't get anything above i think it's the classic roast because man they roast those beans....

Reactions: MrG

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hula Daddy, Rusty's, and Paradise are great ways to try out good Hawaiian coffee beyond the traditional Kona profile. For Kona, I've really liked what I had from Kona Coffee Purveyors: their coffee actually has some acid unlike the boring smooth profiles Konas usually have.

And as Ed points out, using 1st world labor, they are much more expensive than coffees from other places in the world. It really makes you think about how sustainable coffee is in the long term.

Reactions: MrG

supermang

Reaction score
What espresso is everyone enjoying right now?

I'm really digging these two:

image_6b2910e1-95d8-478b-b66f-b4c68c821cca.jpg

700_GR_front2_2048x2048.jpg

Leam Hammer is prob my favorite at the moment. Fruit forward without being acidic with floral flavors and chocolate undertones. Really fantastic and unique espresso

Got a few 12 oz bags of Kaldi 700; might just have to buy a few pounds. Strong caramel tasting espresso with low/no bitterness. Might be the best Northern Italian style espresso around

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What espresso is everyone enjoying right now?

I'm really digging these two:

View attachment 1439264

View attachment 1439265

Leam Hammer is prob my favorite at the moment. Fruit forward without being acidic with floral flavors and chocolate undertones. Really fantastic and unique espresso

Got a few 12 oz bags of Kaldi 700; might just have to buy a few pounds. Strong caramel tasting espresso with low/no bitterness. Might be the best Northern Italian style espresso around
I love all of Kaladi's coffee.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This happened to me last week for the first and only time. Last bean hit the 20 gram mark on the nose.

Don’t order online as much as I used to. Excellent roaster , Reprise Coffee Roasters, 15 minutes from my house.
Plus, he consistently pulls a great shot of espresso.

If you want to try a new roaster, give them a try. Would help them out. They had to close for the pandemic and have been open a few hours each day since reopening. Getting just enough traffic now to bring staff back to work.
If you like Natural process;
Nicolas & Angela’s is my favorite for brewing or pour over.
Tabi is really unique. Most body of any coffee I ever had. Very balanced. Only gripe about it is the floral notes which I don’t care for but makes a great cup.
Odd thing with both of these is they get better as they aged. Usually not the case with beans. Maybe because of the processing method? Not sure.
The coffees are named after the owners of the farms.
Spaceflower is a good blend for espresso. Sweet chocolate

Just ordered some Tabi, Nicolas & Angela, and Guadalupe & the Giant Peach.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@patrickBOOTH

Did you get Finca El Povenir from the Nicolas & Angela farm or a bag of Nicolas & Angela?
The Finca is new and replaces Nicolas & Angela. Will get a bag next visit.

Hope these work out for you.

Are you going to an office these days or working remotely?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads