• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The water thing has been one of the most mysterious/frustrating things about making coffee. Haven’t been able to get RO for a while and seeing scale build up in my kettle now. May switch to mixing with distilled.

Where I live the water is super hard and most homes have a water softener for general house use and an undersink RO system for drinking.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where I live the water is super hard and most homes have a water softener for general house use and an undersink RO system for drinking.
What supermang was alluding to is RO water alone will not extract well when brewing. There are minerals in the water that bond with the coffee and release flavors. RO water without the additives creates a flat taste. I use RO with additives to avoid a build up of scale.
If you want another rabbit hole, look into TDS, total dissolved solids and EY, extraction yield.

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a theory that roasters, perhaps unconsciously, choose a flavor profile that's influenced by their local water quality, so people from another city drinking their coffee may get a different taste experience than what the roaster intended. Some cafes now mix their own water, so we may have substituted one hidden variable for another, but at least it's replicable in theory.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welcome, it's one hell of a rabbit hole. My recommendation is a scale, they can be relatively cheap and will help you create consistency.

-DL
Yeah im in it deep (fellow aeropress espresso attachment, nespresso machine, two beans canisters, baratza encore and hario hand grinder, aeropress and a scale). I hadn't wanted a nice kettle because i knew id go: no reason to not have a pourover now....

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I am now pissed off I read the stuff about RO water being inferior. Ignorance is bliss.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use RO water at home, but it has enough minerality that I didn't find mixing my own water made a difference.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I use RO water at home, but it has enough minerality that I didn't find mixing my own water made a difference.
How did you test the water? That’s my next step. Been putting it off. Been adding Crystal Geyser with RO.
3 parts RO 1 part CG,

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did you test the water? That’s my next step. Been putting it off. I guess. Been adding Crystal Geyser with RO 3 parts RO 1 part CG

Amazon TDS meter? Mixing the recipes is giant PITA too even for concentrates because you have weigh out with 0.1g precision.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Amazon TDS meter? Mixing the recipes is giant PITA too even for concentrates because you have weigh out with 0.1g precision.
Can you taste the difference? Worth the effort?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could not taste the difference, but I didn't use the coffee-specific recipes. Instead I used one I found on Good Eats, but if that didn't make a difference, I'm not sure the coffee-specific ones (much less something like 3rd wave water) would make a difference. My mind is still open on this, but at this point, other variables make bigger differences in my setup. YMMV!

At least one of my local coffee shops mixes their own water, but our local area water is notoriously hard.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Get RO water from the machine at Whole Foods. The machines aren’t being used at present so switched to tap water. The coffee has not tasted the same with tap water. It’s actually tastes pretty bad. Maybe it’s a local thing but the only thing that’s changed is the water I’m using. It’s hard to find specific brands of bottled water right now.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads