• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what are the best cures for an office that has a bad coffee setup. I’d prefer not to go out regularly, though their Is a convenient Gregory’s and Blue Bottle.

I’ve considered aFrench press, pour over as well as an aeropress.

There maybe other good options in unaware. I assume most is a trade off between continence and quality.

thoughts?
Aeropress and a high-grade manual grinder are what I prefer.

Consistent, compact, quiet, quick, plus no mess and no compromise on quality.

Pourover would work too, but it's more of a hassle and you'll need a gooseneck kettle to do it right.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alright, I've decided against the Ember mug. Might just get a double-walled mug. The battery, in the end, turned me off. The Ember is good for 500 or so charges. After that, you can still use it as a mug, but it also seems wasteful.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

itsPronouncedSteven

Reaction score
Aeropress and a high-grade manual grinder are what I prefer.

Consistent, compact, quiet, quick, plus no mess and no compromise on quality.

Pourover would work too, but it's more of a hassle and you'll need a gooseneck kettle to do it right.
+1. I usually make my coffee before I leave, but sometimes just bring in an aeropress and a manual grinder (I use a kinu m47) to work.

Gus_McCrae

Reaction score
+1. I usually make my coffee before I leave, but sometimes just bring in an aeropress and a manual grinder (I use a kinu m47) to work.
What has kept me away from aeropress in the past is it seems to make small portions of what I’ve researched is correct.

is that not an issue for you guys?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What has kept me away from aeropress in the past is it seems to make small portions of what I’ve researched is correct.

is that not an issue for you guys?

I don't know the exact amount but it makes a good full cup for me. If you were making coffee for a bunch of people, it could be tedious pressing out each cup.

supermang

Reaction score
IMG_20200119_191305.jpg

My current apartment espresso set-up featuring my new Bezzera BZ10. Really solid machine with fantastic steam pressure. I've been pulling fantastic shots using a bottomless portafilter with minimal troubleshooting. Still lots of room to perfect that microfoam technique though.

Will upgrade the grinder eventually when I buy a house but so far the M47 has been performing very well.

loaferman

Reaction score
what are the best cures for an office that has a bad coffee setup. I’d prefer not to go out regularly, though their Is a convenient Gregory’s and Blue Bottle.

I’ve considered aFrench press, pour over as well as an aeropress.

There maybe other good options in unaware. I assume most is a trade off between continence and quality.

thoughts?

I'd go for a pour over setup. It's much easier for clean up compared to areopress and french press. If your office allows, grab yourself a hand grinder (e.g. Hario Skerton) so that you can really optimize the beans freshness.

A V60-1 (i will go with a V60-2 if you plan to brew more than 12 oz), beehive carafe and pour over kettle from ebay/aliexpres will set you back no more than 50 bucks.

itsPronouncedSteven

Reaction score
I'd go for a pour over setup. It's much easier for clean up compared to areopress and french press. If your office allows, grab yourself a hand grinder (e.g. Hario Skerton) so that you can really optimize the beans freshness.

A V60-1 (i will go with a V60-2 if you plan to brew more than 12 oz), beehive carafe and pour over kettle from ebay/aliexpres will set you back no more than 50 bucks.
I actually think an aeropress is much easier to clean- just pop out that coffee puck then give everything a rinse. It also doesn't require a kettle, so less stuff to keep at the office. Pourover (especially with a v60) is also much better with a scale- with an aeropress you can eyeball it and still have everything come out good.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also an aeropress makes better coffee. Pourover is one of the more fickle methods to make great coffee. Pourover is rarely great. On the other hand the clever dripper solves all of the traditional pourover's woes.

loaferman

Reaction score
Also an aeropress makes better coffee. Pourover is one of the more fickle methods to make great coffee. Pourover is rarely great. On the other hand the clever dripper solves all of the traditional pourover's woes.

That's quite subjective IMO. For instance, I can point to the fact that 90% of winners of regional/international brewers cup uses non-Aeropress devices.

If you want a concentrated cup then, yes, an inverted Aeropress technique will give you a rich brew similar to Fresh Press. But if you want a more delicate cup to bring out floral qualities of a washed coffee, I find its best to use a pour-over device (e.g. V60, Kalita, Blue Bottle Dripper, etc...).

With the pour over all I need to "clean" is take out the filter and give my dripper a quick wipe with a washcloth. I find the pour-over process quite therapeutic and a way to get away from my office routine.

I use this kettle at work and I don't need to use a scale

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
That's quite subjective IMO. For instance, I can point to the fact that 90% of winners of regional/international brewers cup uses non-Aeropress devices.

The fact that “90% of winners” (isn’t the judging also subjective?) are usually pour-over or other non-aeropress does not really respond to the comment that most pour-over “isn’t that great”. Which I mostly agree with.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
99% of the time I get a pourover it is underextracted. This person is looking to make good coffee in the office, not be judged in a competition.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Use a Bonavita immersion dripper which I think is the same or similar to a Clever dripper. Difference is the mechanism that opens or closes the pour. Got it over the Clever because it is porcelain and not plastic. Have not tried an aeropress or a V60. Opinions say immersion brewing is inefficient regarding extraction compared to other pour over methods. I dismissed those opinions because I like the consistency and taste of the coffee it makes. Opinions say porcelain doesn't retain heat as well as plastic and I don't care because the coffee tastes good and the porcelain looks nicer. I do not drink the coffee when it is very hot coffee because as the coffee cools down the clarity of the flavor increases.
It is important to control and adjust the water temperature you use for light or dark roast beans. Water temp and the age of the beans are the variables I try to manage. I change the grind to speed up or slow down the pour time.
When I didn't have a grinder at work I would grind a couple doses of beans at home and take them to work in an airtight container. It worked fine.
Toss the filter and clean or rinse the device. That's all there is to do.
Whatever the shortcomings of this method are , I prefer the ease and consistency of the results over the frustration I hear of using a V60 and mastering the technique.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
99% of the time I get a pourover it is underextracted. This person is looking to make good coffee in the office, not be judged in a competition.
Did you ever make it to Felix Roasters on Park Ave?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads