1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Fellas what is this thing called and who makes it? Anyone tried ?
    [​IMG]

2. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

4. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  5. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

I've been looking at double boilers recently. I don't understand why the breville bes900xl is 500 to 1000 cheaper than something like the brutus iv or Vivaldi ii.

6. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Well-Known Member

I believe it's mostly to do with proven longevity. The performance is definitely there. Breville has been very good in terms of provide repairs or replacement on faulty machines.

Most of the other competitive dual boilers probably have higher grade materials and are assembled in Europe, resulting in higher cost.

I'm very close to purchasing it as I have a e61 HX machine that requires preparation and doing the water dance. I think the convenience and performance is there, but how long it will last is anybody's guess,

The machine is also not user descalable. It will require sending it to breville. Machine also uses a removable filter to help combat scale buildup to a degree.

7. indesertum

I see. Well I'm pretty tempted by it. Although it does seem a little silly to pay such a large amount of money just so you can have your steamed milk a minute earlier

Also has anybody tried the geisha varietals? Worth the price?

8. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Why can't you take apart the machine and descale the boilers?

Also, the milk texturing video on amazon from Breville is just awful.

I've had Geisha twice. I liked it. It was less than twice as expensive as coffe from "normal" beans, so I went for it given that the beans itself were about 2.5-3x as expensive. Haven't bought any beans so far.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  9. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

You should try a gesha from a good roaster at least once. Whether it's worth the money is up to you. I'd start with a Panama gesha from the Peterson farm, Esmeralda, which is the farm that originally popularized it. Because it's so popular and sells for so much money, lots of farms in other countries are trying to grow it, with varying success.

Klatch is probably the most reliable place to get Esmeralda gesha, and they do a very good job. And they have one right now that's not insanely expensive ($50/lbs). Stumptown and Counterculture are good too. Avoid Verve.

I like to get gesha once a year just on a lark, but I think a very good Ethiopian washed Yirgacheffe comes within spitting distance of a gesha. Compared to a gesha, the flavor profile is the same, but just not as intense. In many ways, I prefer the washed Yirgs because they're more balanced and more subtle.

An interesting comparison is to get gesha that's grown in Ethiopia, which is where the varietal came from, and it's a lot cheaper. Roastco had one a while ago, but they're out now.

And if you want to piss off your local hipster barista, get this: http://www.starbucksstore.com/starb...d.html?start=11&cgid=starbucks-reserve-coffee

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Well-Known Member

Not sure if anybody has tried to Descale by themselves, but it probably voids the warranty if you try to, I believe there's no built in drain valves if I remember correctly. The rumored next version is supposed to be user descaleabe. You can google the SCAA breville showcase.

Very close to trying hario woodneck. Yay or nay?

11. indesertum

^cloth filters sound like a pain

Finally figured out my sticking point for latte art. I had trouble either getting the milk to rise or by the time it rose the milk would be too viscous to make patterns. I bought a thermometer and it looks like I've been stopping the steaming way too early. 160 is much hotter than I thought it was. I let the wand suck air in for only 1 - 2 seconds then the milk stretches enough to plunge the tip all the way in. The pitch of the sound of milk steaming starts high then starts to get low and after a few seconds of that I hit 130 ish and eventually reach 160 once the milk sits for like 10 seconds

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  12. scottcw

scottcw Well-Known Member

It's become my morning routine, replacing a Chemex. Cleaner taste, no paper to rinse (and rinsing never fully removes paper taste). Highly recommended.

13. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Geisha on a pseudo lever machine

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  14. indesertum

Bleah. Still can't latte art. Milk won't float properly and when it does it's too viscous

15. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

^Pics/videos?

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

17. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Concur on Peet's. AY turned me on to them and I haven't looked back. Just wish there was a place to buy their specialty roasts here.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  18. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The coffee giant Starbucks is suing a Bangkok-based coffee stall for copying its logo for approximately US$9,685.

Called “Starbung Coffee”, the logo’s font and green border, as well as its placement of a man in its center does take after the well-known coffee chain.

Starbucks is suing 43-year-old Damrong Maslae—who is also known as “Starbung”—and his brother, who have ignored a cease-and-desist letter from the US coffee chain.

The company went on to file a trademark violation complaint as well as a petition with the international trade and central intellectual property court, even calling for the brothers to be arrested.

However, Maslae refuses to change his logo, stating that his friend who designed it was inspired by his religion, Islam.

“My logo is halal and has a moon and a star, and is green for the colour of Islam. Starbucks has insisted I take out the green and the words star and coffee. I can't do that,” he said.

He even states that customers—mostly tourists—have even praised his coffee as being better than that of Starbucks’.

lefty​

19. indesertum

Can't take videos but would a picture of the final product help?

20. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

It might, yes.