• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seems like the new trend has been lighter roasts across the board. I miss dark roasts.

WiredandTired

Reaction score
Seems like the new trend has been lighter roasts across the board. I miss dark roasts.

For myself, palette has moved towards "lighter roasts". Not third wave super light brown on the beans type of roast, but what most people would term medium, maybe slightly dark. Pete's and Starbucks normal blends really do blast the beans in their roasting process. It creates a ashy burnt type of taste with a lot of boldness. Nothing wrong with that, taste is personal. It's become subjective in what I consider dark roast.

One of my personal favorites I found during my coffee obsession phase, less so now than before, was Espresso Vivace's Dolce blend. It's definitely not a bright blend, but its very enjoyable. I'll let the website do the talking for the taste notes.

https://www.espressovivace.com/blends.html

Aneil4lom

Reaction score
I grind my beans extremely fine (til they're like powder). I make a double-shot of espresso, sweeten it and then make a mix that's one third coffee, two thirds milk.
I'm willing to drink almost anything once it's arabica beans. Starbucks: frech Roast, Veranda Blend, Komodo. Godiva Flavoured Coffee, Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee.

Recently I'm drinking some some beans I purchased from a place called The Nutbox in Chelsea, NY.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has this been posted already?

http://alphadominche.com/steampunk/

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our office has those awful keurig prepacked coffees. My fiance likes bustelo, so that's what I will drink at home and occasionally bring to work.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I'll likely go for an AeroPress + Hario Skerton (I really don''t want to use my Vario Home v2 for both espresso and filter settings). I guess some of you have the Skerton. Do you use the Orphan Espresso lower bearing mod to reduce fines? I'm sure the effect is very noticeable when preparing French Press. But the extraction should be more even when there's less fines even for preperations like the AeroPress. Or has someone tried it and didn't notice a difference since there are naturally less fines when one grinds finer than French Press for AP/CCD?

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If there is a mod for it I would go that route. The burrs wobble quite a bit while cranking so anything that creates a more consistent grind would be beneficial.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've just seen this note:

PLEASE NOTE: Out of the box, both the Skerton & CM-50 are good for fine grinding, BUT IF YOU upgrade for good coarse performance you will SEVERELY affect the capability for fine - it is a trade off - once upgraded for coarse, fine is not so good! One or the other, you can't have both with these grinders!

The thing is, what do they mean with coarse/fine? Fine = espresso fine or fine = AeroPress or something fine?

I guess I'll see how content I am with the unmodded results and eventually order the mod in case I'd like a more even grind.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ok, I've just seen this note:
The thing is, what do they mean with coarse/fine? Fine = espresso fine or fine = AeroPress or something fine?

I guess I'll see how content I am with the unmodded results and eventually order the mod in case I'd like a more even grind.

My uneducated guess would be that adding the bearing would leave it completely unsuitable for espresso (you just won't be able to put the burrs close enough together) but still well within proper range for an Aeropress

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, to add further confusion, I've read a post of someone who can still grind espresso fine (not that I'd need it, but that kinda contradicts the warning on Orphan Espresso's website).

edy7u9y5.jpg
3y2a3ame.jpg
y9apyzed.jpg

Given that pretty much everyone seems to be happy with the mod (from what a bit of googling showed), I'm very likely to get it. Thanks.

Edit: Oh well, just ordered it. 13.54€. Now just some praying that it won't take four weeks due to our beloved slow customs.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aaand it's happened again. Kept on reading and now I'm not sure whether I should just get a Porlex. Anyone tried it?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most round burr grinders can only be optimized for a small range of grind sizes. The grinders from Baratza are like this until you get the flat burrs in their higher-end models.

I think at the level of the grind we're talking about (they're not whirly blades), the differences the OE mod will make to a Hario is not the most important factor. I've modified my own Hario by wrapping tape around the central shaft where the burr sits so it wobbles a bit less, but I'm not sure it's made any difference in the cup. I also have a Porlex, but I've never used it, because it has the same burrs as the Hario and they are held the same way as the Hario. It's basically a smaller Hario mini with a steel body --- it's good for travel as it fits inside an Aeropress easily.

I think other factors like brew ratio and quality of the beans are far bigger factors in the cup quality than the grinder. Very good grinders for brew coffee (not espresso) may be great for getting that last bit of consistency, but they are pretty far down the list for things to worry about. For espresso, I'd get the best grinder money can buy, but espresso is dumb like that.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have that exact setup you mentioned bios and I honestly love it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads