1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Loud will always be an issue, no getting around that. The Virtuoso is a great grinder. The Encore is great at a cheaper price point, but not as consistent or fast as the virtuoso, even at courser grinds.

2. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

The Encore is around the price point I'm looking to spend, anything more expensive I feel a bit silly at this point. Will look into it. Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  3. patrickBOOTH

My girlfriend uses the Encore at our home, I have a Virtuoso at work. She is very happy with the Encore. I think you will get your money's worth for sure. Also if you have issues, or anything Baratza is awesome to deal with. Also, I would check their website for refurbished models that they post every Thursday. You could possibly get a Virtuoso for much, much cheaper, or even an Encore or a fraction of the cost.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Thats some nice coffee you have at work.

Is that just a personal setup at your desk, or is the company coffee really that good?

5. patrickBOOTH

If nobody knew any better at work they would think I was a barista:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

That is just nuts.

I bet your cube neighbors love it when you fire up that grinder...

7. patrickBOOTH

They are so used to it by now, worst part is it is largely an open office environment so there really isn't much as far as dividers. The only people with private offices are the senior officers. But let me ask you, are you surprised by this setup that I have? Honestly?

8. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

OK, not surprised.

1 person likes this.
  9. A Y

A Y Senior member

How is that mug?

10. patrickBOOTH

Awkward as fucking hell, but it looks awesome so I suffer.

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

Tell me about that kettle.

lefty

12. patrickBOOTH

It is pretty great. You set what temperature you want it to heat the water to and it does its best to maintain it. It is so you don't have to guess when the water is at a perfect 205 degrees. Or just count after you take it off boil.

13. A Y

A Y Senior member

That mug is like a more extreme version of the Offero coffee mug, whose asymmetrical design they claim lets you smell the coffee better. http://www.theoffero.com/Offero_Coffee_Cups.html I'm a bit skeptical. If that's what they want, just use a wider cup.

Lefty, that's the Bonavita kettle in case you were interested in getting one.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

Well, I have an electric kettle with temp control and I have the Hario Buono, but to combine them? Genius.

lefty

15. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Just ordered the Baratza Encore. Ended up buying it new from Amazon since after tax/shipping the refurb would only be $30 cheaper. Plus I have prime so it would get here in time for Friday morning. :D

1 person likes this.
  16. b1os

b1os Senior member

PB, have you measured the accuracy of the Bonavita with a probe thermometer? I understand that it takes a little longer to heat up water in it because before reaching the target temperature, it reduces the heat to create a buffer such that the water can heat up uniformly (and not heat until the target temperature has been reached, then overheat it with the still-hot heating element). Sounds good, but how well does it work?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

you're such a nerd

i think the most i would ever do is google it

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  18. A Y

A Y Senior member

Personally, I think the importance of exact temperature for drip brewing is overrated. Just get it to boiling, and use it. I had a Pino digital kettle (that broke) and I've noticed that it has some overshoot. The kettle will tend to shut off after the water's temperature's gone past the setting. Yes, I measured it to confirm.

19. b1os

b1os Senior member

I'm not anal enough to worry about a few degrees. I'm just curious how accurate it is and how accurately it maintains the temperature (apparently for one hour). I'd mostly use the settings for green tea, if anything.
    @A Y: I tend to agree, but then there was the case of the barista championship where some guy got terrible reviews cause the coffee tasted differently than what he described it to taste like. After the event, it became apparent that the thermometers he uses and the thermometers used at the championship have a gap of about 1.5°C. Whatever.

20. patrickBOOTH

I never measured it, but then again you can question the accuracy of the thermometer as well. I noticed it does heat in waves. You can hear it turning on and off, not just heating up realyl quickly, so maybe there is some idea there. It does overshoot and then settle and the heating element usually kicks back on when it drops 2 degrees from the desired temperature.