1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. furo

furo Senior member

No but if there's one thing I invest a bit more cash in it will definitely be that. I know everyone says grinder, grinder, grinder, but I'd like to give the machine its fair play prior to making any other serious buys.

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Which grinder do you have?

3. furo

furo Senior member

The integrated conical burr grinder that comes with the Breville machine

4. romafan

romafan Senior member

Are you swirling to show crema/head or for some other purpose (like aerating wine)? Try reshooting first half and using right arm/hand

5. furo

furo Senior member

Just to show that there's some glossiness to the crema and that it's not rapidly dissipating. Not sure what you mean by right arm/hand - you mean place the camera on the right of the machine instead of the left?

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

Whether there's lots of crema or not, whether it disappears quickly or not, it mostly depends on the beans you use. Just FYI. I repeat myself, but crema isn't important. It tastes pretty bad. It's just a good sign whether the shot was good and can show signs of what to improve. A bottomless portafilter and your taste buds are the better indicators though.

7. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

Swirling either in the cup or with a spoon can help to even out the taste of the shot. Crema itself can be bitter.

Some baristas swirl or mix with the demitasse spoon to improve their latte art, so the crema doesn't break when the milk is poured in.

I cannot say for sure if it does help, as I'm still a novice in tasting and latte art. As the weather cools down, I'll be firing up the machine after a descale and go back down the rabbit hole.

8. furo

furo Senior member

Good points, and I plan on visiting a local coffee shop about 10 miles away that serves Terroir coffee. That way I can compare my home extractions to what they are making on a much higher end machine with a much more experienced barista

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Philz doesn't date their coffee. Don't understand the hype

10. furo

furo Senior member

Has anyone tried the Mistobox service? And if so, are the coffees good?

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

Pretty darkly roasted Yirgacheffe filter coffee. Made a new batch of cold brew. Also good with darker roasts.

[​IMG]

12. supplychainman

supplychainman Senior member

Having a hard time deciding between the Baratza Vario Ceramic Burr Coffee Grinder and Rancilio Rocky Doserless Coffee Grinder ... Anyone have a suggestion on what they have or prefer. Thanks!

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Does anybody know how coffee's at Porto Rico Importing co. are? They seem to always have coffee's from great places. Any experience?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  15. lefty

lefty Senior member

Wouldn't the open burlap sacks of coffee drive you screaming into the street?

lefty

16. patrickBOOTH

17. lefty

lefty Senior member

I've been slumming lately with the open sacks at Fairway. All things considered, it's not that bad.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  18. romafan

romafan Senior member

well, they have good prices and roast themselves. i don't know if there's some way to tell what's freshest besides asking. if you're not picky you can get the sale coffee for soemthing like $5/lb. oh, and their chemex filters are 3 or 4 bucks a box cheaper than b'dwy panhandler

19. lefty

lefty Senior member

Do they sell press glass containers for a decent price? I just broke one and it galls me to spend $20 on a replacement.

lefty

20. patrickBOOTH

I know, those Bodum replacements are a total rip off.