1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. A Y

A Y Senior member

You're welcome Chris! Do you send customers who request teh drape to Starbucks?

--Andre

2. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hmmmm...interesting suggestion!

3. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

This is about the best I can do for coffee, given my location.
    [​IMG]
    It's not bad though.

4. alexg

alexg Senior member

I'm new to trying to make good coffee, and have two questions.

1. I was given a La Pavoni Europiccola machine that a friend had in his house. I believe he converted it from 220v to 110v to work in America. It works, but it literally took about 2 hours to get the water hot enough to make steam. It's an old machine, should I try to get a new heating coil or could it be something else?

2. What kind of grinder should I get? I'm hoping to spend about $50-100 to be used with the La Pavoni and possibly an Aeropress.

Thanks

5. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

How did your friend 'convert' the coffee machine, with a step-up transformer or did he just change the plug to a US one? One thinks the latter, which probably explains why it takes so long to heat the water. You could try getting a new 110V heating element, that would certainly make it heat the water much quicker, if one is available. If you can't get the appropriate heating element, a 110V-220V step-up transformer of adequate wattage will make your coffee machine work correctly.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  6. A Y

A Y Senior member

The heating coil could have run directly off wall voltage, so with 110V, it may not be heating up that much or that quickly. Do they offer an alternate coil or heating system that works with 110?

Aeropress isn't very picky about a grinder, at least for fineness of size --- you still want uniformity, so a burr grinder is better than an whirly blade. I use a Capresso Infinity and it works well. It's about $90 from Amazon. If you want to use some elbow grease, the Hario manual grinders are very good, and slightly cheaper. Their main advantage is that they use really nice burrs, and are portable.

--Andre

7. alexg

alexg Senior member

Thanks MikeDT and A Y. I think I'll try getting a new heating coil and attempt to install it. I'll look into the grinders as well. Portable is a good thing and I'm already pulling the espresso manually so the Hario might not be bad.

8. Despos

Just read an artIcle about the effects of limescale buildup on machines. They have opened machines that the buildup around the heating element is so severe that the machine would not heat up. You could ask your friend who gave you the machine about how he maintained the machine.

9. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Very interesting.

We use the aeropress at home -- I find it makes decent coffee even with crummy, store-ground beans. When I want to make a full pot of coffee, I use two aeropresses with three scoops in each -- fill one up to the "4" with hot water from a zojirushi, stir it around about 12-18 times and press it into a cup; repeat the procedure with the second press, dump the contents of the twice-pressed cup into a carafe and then add more water from the zojirushi to the 12 cup mark. Then I put the carafe in the Cuisinart Brew Central Coffee Maker (stupidly expensive hotplate for our purposes, but I suppose I could use it as a coffeemaker if the aeropresses broke ... :embar:).

Thanks for the tip on the coava metal filter -- we go through a lot of the paper filters. I tried to cut an existing metal cone filter into the right shape a couple of years ago but it didn't work so we went back to paper. I have just ordered a couple of the metal ones.

10. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=380R

Basically a rebranded, refurbished Baratza Maestro Plus with a manufacturer's warranty. Probably the best espresso grinder you could get between $50-100; not quite fine enough for espresso out of the box, but easily recalibrated to a pressurized-portafilter grind. If you wait awhile, occasionally a refurbished Virtuoso will come up on their site for ~$130 (and then you'll never have to buy another grinder).

11. 1969

1969 Senior member

Never skimp on a grinder for espresso...Rocky is the entry level imo.

12. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Any recommendations for what to look for in a good decaf? I usually mix my beans about 50/50 because the way I make coffee (single cup drip cone) it's already super strong. But I've found a lot of decaf beans have a flat, "stale" flavor. In San Francisco, Bicycle Coffee Co makes a pretty tasty decaf but I can't always find it. Sometimes I'll try to mix the same varietal in caf/decaf, but not always.

I don't know much about the different decaffeinating methods or what makes a good vs. bad tasting decaf.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  13. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Thanks again for the metal filter recommendation -- tried it over the weekend and it was very good when making a full aeropress cylinder. I haven't tried it for just one cup yet, but don't expect any problems.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

I alternate between a chemex and a french press; do I need an aeropress as well?

lefty

15. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

You probably don't *need* one, but they're pretty inexpensive (even with the Able Disk mentioned above) and you can get interesting things out of beans that you won't get from a press pot or the Chemex. I brewed a superstar Kenya Kangunu tonight with the Aeropress and Disk - it brought out the sugary sweetness without the citrus you'd get from brewing this coffee pretty much any other way. Interesting!

16. Despos

Does anyone use a Hario? Could you throw this in to compare with the other brewing devices/methods.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  17. lefty

lefty Senior member

Quote:
    Thanks, I may pick one up.

Anyone use a grinder cleaner like Grindz?

lefty

18. coldarchon

coldarchon Senior member

19. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

I use dry white rice, an idea that I think began as a barista joke but actually works well. Cheaper than Grindz and no chemicals.
    Which Hario product? I've had a V60 for about a year and used it every day for the first four months I had it, but despite tweaking everything I could think of - grind, timing, rhythm, pour speed - I never got a great cup of coffee out of it. Some baristas swear that it's a great tool, but IMO a Beehouse dripper or even one of the cheap Melittas is an easier route to the same end. A great grinder is a necessary but not a sufficient condition for a good cup of V60.

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

Quote:
    Really? I would have thought rice would gum it up but a quick search seems to confirm. Thanks.

lefty