1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Anyone ever tried either Everymen Espresso, Laughing Man Coffee & Tea, or Intelligentsia Coffee (NYC location), just some random lists I come up (more like stuff I heard is not bad but I have not tried in NYC).

p.s. and I mean to get a cup of coffee, not to buy beans, my personal day to day is Joe's Art of Coffee (Grand Central location), and I like both Gimme Coffee and Cafe Grumpy, and a bit underwhelmed by Stumptown

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I like intelligentsia despite the third wave hate. A little too precious but their coffee is great.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

There's a place in Windsor terrace in Brooklyn that serves French press intelligencia and it is amazing. They do a great job.

4. A Y

A Y Senior member

I had the Stumptown Ethiopian Chelbassa from Yirgacheffe this morning that Kevin Knox mentions in his blog post. It is really excellent, and the acidity isn't too prominent probably because of my brewing method (CCD) and it probably mixed with some retained grounds of Peet's Queen City in the grinder. Just joking about the latter: there's probably less than half a gram of retained grinds.

I get lots of toffee notes.

1 person likes this.
  5. furo

furo Senior member

I tried out the cqcoffee motoretta today and my first pull was pretty good... Nice smooth extraction with a honey like flow ... I probably should have cut off the shot a few seconds before I did to optimize the flavor, but nonetheless, I can already taste a level of quality that is better than the other beans I've tried. Thumbs up to this roast

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I had that last month, was quite nice.

Their Mordecofe has been one of my staples. Not sure which of those two I liked better, rather similar overall.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  7. BenMusch

BenMusch Member

I get my coffee from a seattle-based company called Fonte. Medium roast and I have it with cream, no sugar. Sugar ruins coffee.

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

And cream doesnt?

1 person likes this.
  9. BenMusch

BenMusch Member

I usually add just a bit to cool it down

10. furo

furo Senior member

George Howell coffee replied to my email and told me that Terroir coffee is carried in the local Whole Foods, so on my way now to pick up a bag or two

11. furo

furo Senior member

They have a great assortment!

[​IMG]
    screen capture open source

I chose the Daterra S Italian espresso... Hoping the hazelnut flavor comes out a bit

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  12. patrickBOOTH

Just had an espresso shot of the chelbessa. Holy hell it's acidic.

13. furo

furo Senior member

The cqcoffee espresso motoretta turned out to be a bit too bright and fruity for my liking so they're sending me a free 12oz bag of something a bit more full-bodied :slayer:

The Daterra Terroir espresso is quite interesting - much more to my liking after just one pull - hoping it goes well with milk as a latte

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  14. A Y

A Y Senior member

Try the Chelbessa in a French press or paper filter brew. It should mellow out considerably. Apparently pressurized methods amplify acidity.

Also, the barista may have underextracted the espresso: it seems to be a bad habit for the 3rd wavers.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  15. GreatHighway

GreatHighway Senior member

16. patrickBOOTH

How do you underextract espresso? Isn't the temp held constant? Do you mean, pulled it too short?

17. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

When the grind is too coarse and water runs thru too quickly. Like a shot in less than 15 seconds is underextracted. You get a sour taste.

18. b1os

b1os Senior member

Channeling results in partial underextraction too.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  19. A Y

A Y Senior member

In addition to what Despos and b1os said, the high dosing used by 3rd wavers (eg. using 18 grams of grounds) encourages underextraction.

I wonder how many roast profiles have been f'ed up by baristas who give feedback based on insanely high dosing.

20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

But if you pull at blonding point aren't you at the right extraction?