1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm sick of the roast profile of all of the third wavers. Gimme has even lightened up over the last few years.

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Yeah. Less chocolate more citrus. I'm kind of tired of sour shots too

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  3. patrickBOOTH

I am drinking french press picolo mondo right now and I can't believe the profile compared to ~5 years ago. They are all roasting to trends and losing their identity, imo.

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I want drinking piccolo mondo five years ago so I wouldn't know. To me it's been brighter than leftist

5. patrickBOOTH

Maybe it is just the blend. The darker roast has been scaled back or something. I remember getting it where you could visually notice that two differently roasted beans were blended in the bag. Today, not so much, to any casual coffee drinker at least.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Yeah when you said that I went and checked and didn't really notice a huge variance in roasting profile

7. patrickBOOTH

Furthermore they call it a "Medium-Dark" roast. That is laughable. I bet their "French Roast" tastes like a grapefruit.

2 people like this.
  8. patrickBOOTH

Oh, another thing... I bought the picolo mondo this weekend and when you buy beans they give you a free coffee. All I had were hundred dollar bills and they don't accept $100's! I was pissed and this girl already poured the coffee so I felt obligated to go to an ATM to get 20's. That free small coffee turned into $3.75 in ATM fees. I feel like not even homeless people will take $100's from you, they seem to be useless all over New York City.

1 person likes this.
  9. furo

furo Senior member

Has anyone ever found a bean to have an espresso flavor that truly matched the aroma (assuming you pulled the god shot)?

Is it even possible considering that espresso has an inherent bitterness to it?

What got me thinking was the description for the beans I just bought from CQ coffee roasters:

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

What do you mean match? Your nose can't smell everything. Somethings only your tongue tastes

11. A Y

A Y Senior member

That description from CQ is pure nonsense. Just drink it, and if you like it, buy more. As for taste fulfilling the promise of smells, I guess that depends. I think of the two as complementary, which they are as one affects the other, and just try to enjoy the whole experience. BTW, all coffee is bitter.

This sentence is especially facepalmy:

edit: also, damn PB, you really set Kevin Knox off: http://coffeecontrarian.blogspot.com/2013/07/more-on-freshness-in-response-to.html

2 people like this.
  12. furo

furo Senior member

Well it may be, but I bought it based on this review.

It got a score of 92, so I'm not going to complain about getting those extra 4 ounces. Of course, as you mentioned, none of that will matter if I don't like the taste.

13. patrickBOOTH

14. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

i subscribe to mistobox and tonx...

i've noticed mistobox coffees are all way too lightly roasted, all citrus mostly... tonx has been roasting a bit darker than the roasters in mistobox, and i greatly prefer that...

15. patrickBOOTH

I find what Kevin says to be interesting regarding roast profiles, brewing methods, and origin. All things I have definitely noticed, however never kind of "put all together".

16. horndog

horndog Senior member

Haven't read through the whole thread so no idea if this has been mentioned yet, but I've subscribed to the Tonx service for the last few months. If anyone's wondering about them I'm happy with the bean quality. Good variety and tastes great with a Chemex system. It's a little expensive but conveniently removes thought out of it.

17. patrickBOOTH

You clearly haven't read two posts back either.

18. horndog

horndog Senior member

Fail on two levels: not reading two posts before, and not realizing the guy that's posting is my RL friend who got me into Tonx.

1 person likes this.
  19. A Y

A Y Senior member

Sure. I was referring to their nonsensical justification of their roasting style. I wish roasting companies would just tell us what they taste in their coffees instead of florid prose about nothing. Only the last sentence of those two paragraphs really addresses that.

Also coffee scores aren't like most wine scores (I know you weren't making the comparison) in that it isn't some abstract reflection of a coffee's goodness or how great the reviewer feels after a cup. It's the sum of various aspects of a coffee which tends to give high scores to "interesting" coffees, which are coffees that have a wide and often loud flavor profile. A super acidy, fruit and flower bomb of a coffee will score much higher than one that's a bit more muted, but not everyone will enjoy such a coffee, especially if they're drinking it with food, or if the flavors aren't well balanced.

20. Dempsy444

Dempsy444 Senior member

I thi
    I think that is their best coffee. Otherwise, I think Peets is slipping from too much growth. Coffee just tastes burnt now.