1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Perhaps some sort of hand grinder? Could cut the cost down quite a bit, especially if you're only grinding for single-serving french press.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

They generally suck for coarser grinds unless you spend the same amount of money as a decent electric grinder.

3. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Huh, didn't know that.

Honestly, it does seem like getting a good coarse grind is much harder than a good finer grind.

4. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

o.e. lido is the best hand grinder, either that or get one of those vintage ones

5. patrickBOOTH

I don't think I want a hand held grinder. They are annoying.

6. A Y

A Y Senior member

OK, I don't disagree with you there. The same kind of thing has been happening in barista championships, too: tailoring the coffee specifically for judges' tastes, so that normal people probably wouldn't enjoy it. I think a lot of 3rd wave coffees are unfortunate results of this: look at all of the terrible single-origin espressos and pourovers out there. It's like the overdone details in men's tailoring: huge, cubic shirt buttons or highly visible and useless pickstitching. Exaggeration is used to add novelty back to familiarity.

I hadn't heard that about the Encore, but they are a good company that stands behind their product, and I wouldn't hesitate to go with them. I've found that darker roasted beans are actually easier to grind in my hand grinder. Perhaps some of the grounds get left in the burrs and that's what clogs it up. If so, then just clean the grinder.

7. patrickBOOTH

How do you clean a burr grinder? I heard you can run rice through it, any truth to that?

8. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Ive always just taken mine apart and brushed off the burrs.

9. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

The perception seems to be the more sophisticated and those with great palettes enjoy SO or prefer SO. It's also easier to ensure a consistent cup with SO than blends.

When the championship is on the line, variability is bad. I think there should be a separate event based on barista dealing with blends.

10. WiredandTired

If you can spring for a preciso, go for it. There is a product called grindz that works pretty good. But one should always disassemble and brush off the burrs.

11. patrickBOOTH

I disagree with this strongly. It is like a wine aficionado saying they don't like blends. If anything blends make consistency easier.

12. WiredandTired

It's merely one of many opinions out there. I enjoy coffee, but I make no illusions my palette is sophisticated.

Also a perception of sophistication sets in with the stories behind the farmers, the regional flavor and differences. The terroir if you will. It doesn't matter of you dislike the taste though.

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

This. Avoid rice. If anything, use GRINDZ. Taking apart the grinder and brushing stuff off is more than enough though. Don't overcomplicate it. There are people who clean their grinders every week. I wouldn't. The Mahlk├Ânig Vario v2 hardly has any deadspace, so there's not really much to clean. The Graef CM70 (Sunbeam EM0440) on the other hand has lots of dead space. Still, I won't clean it on a regular basis either.

Agreed.

14. A Y

A Y Senior member

I just brush my burrs, because I'm too lazy to get Grindz.

I also know people who compete with blends, and they're kind of regarded as freaks. Nothing against a good SO espresso (SO for drip brew should be the norm), but it's really, really tricky to do it well since espresso can amplify things so much.

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

I brush and have used rice. About half cup of instant ratcheting through the grind sizes. No harm was done.

lefty

16. patrickBOOTH

How often should burrs be replaced? I have a virtuoso in my kitchen that gets used like 2 or 3 times a day.

17. b1os

b1os Senior member

There's no guidelines. Run your fingers over them, if they feel run down, replace (of course, this is very subjective). Generally, if in doubt, replace. If grind quality drastically changes, replace.
    Above all, don't worry too much about it.

Stainless steel or ceramic burrs? If the latter, even less to worry about. They hardly run down at all. (note: however, very prone to small stones, which may find its way into the grinder.. so if anything ever happens, it will leave noticeable damage)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  18. lefty

lefty Senior member

I have the same and it's about 4 years old. My grinds are fine.

lefty

19. b1os

b1os Senior member

The thing is that the goal of using the rice is to clean the grinder of old coffee residues. Yet it likely leaves starchy/gluteniousy residues instead. So it might actually improve things for the worse by adding something to your grounds that's not coffee-related. the GRINDZ stuff doesn't leave any traces behind. (I still haven't used my sample though) The GRINDZ stuff really is only useful when disassembling the grinder is a huge pita. It usually isn't for household grinders.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  20. lefty

lefty Senior member

I ran a full hopper of shitty coffee through after the rice. I can't say the rice did anything.

lefty