1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. otc

otc Senior member

My uneducated guess would be that adding the bearing would leave it completely unsuitable for espresso (you just won't be able to put the burrs close enough together) but still well within proper range for an Aeropress

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Ok, to add further confusion, I've read a post of someone who can still grind espresso fine (not that I'd need it, but that kinda contradicts the warning on Orphan Espresso's website).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Given that pretty much everyone seems to be happy with the mod (from what a bit of googling showed), I'm very likely to get it. Thanks.

Edit: Oh well, just ordered it. 13.54€. Now just some praying that it won't take four weeks due to our beloved slow customs.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  3. b1os

b1os Senior member

Aaand it's happened again. Kept on reading and now I'm not sure whether I should just get a Porlex. Anyone tried it?

4. A Y

A Y Senior member

Most round burr grinders can only be optimized for a small range of grind sizes. The grinders from Baratza are like this until you get the flat burrs in their higher-end models.

I think at the level of the grind we're talking about (they're not whirly blades), the differences the OE mod will make to a Hario is not the most important factor. I've modified my own Hario by wrapping tape around the central shaft where the burr sits so it wobbles a bit less, but I'm not sure it's made any difference in the cup. I also have a Porlex, but I've never used it, because it has the same burrs as the Hario and they are held the same way as the Hario. It's basically a smaller Hario mini with a steel body --- it's good for travel as it fits inside an Aeropress easily.

I think other factors like brew ratio and quality of the beans are far bigger factors in the cup quality than the grinder. Very good grinders for brew coffee (not espresso) may be great for getting that last bit of consistency, but they are pretty far down the list for things to worry about. For espresso, I'd get the best grinder money can buy, but espresso is dumb like that.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I have that exact setup you mentioned bios and I honestly love it

6. ryogrif

ryogrif Well-Known Member Affiliate Vendor

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

I've opted for a Graef CM70. It's the cheap version of the CM80 (same grinder, just less quality finish as in more plastic parts), which is pretty much the best value among the entry level espresso grinder. It should do fine for AP/CCD grinding. At 63€ (WHD + 10% discount on top) I doubt that there's a better choice. Only downside is that I now have a Rancilio Silvia, a Mahlkönig Vario v2 and a CM70 plus an AP and CCD in my already smallish kitchen.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Gimme Coffee used to have a lot of more blends. The trend has been towards single origins to capture the essence on the terroir and such, which is great, but they had this one that kind of satisfies the nuances and flavor profiles you can get with medium/lighter roasts, but also has that dark roasted smokiness. It was Called Piccolo Mondo. I think it was some South American, or Central American bean, but what was interesting was it was blended with he same bean, but some of it roasted medium/light and some of it dark so you got a very interesting cup. It was awesome. I don't think dark roast and flavor nuances have to be mutually exclusive. But yeah, I miss blends too where it seems like the availability of them has dwindled recently.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  9. patrickBOOTH

Also, what's the deal with Peet's? Are they good? I always thought they were kind of like Seattle's best, or like a second rate place. Clearly, I am talking about Peet's today, not in 1975.

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I'm not a huge fan of Peet's. It's decent, and certainly better than Starbucks if you're traveling to a town that has their stores, but I certainly wouldn't mail order beans or anything like that.

Basically, I'd happily drink a cup of coffee from them in the morning if I were on a business trip or something, but I wouldn't go out of my way at all.

I also think they *way* overroast their beans, so there's that.

11. patrickBOOTH

There is one on University Place by where I work. I've been curious, but never jonesing for a cup while walking by.

12. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

Porlex is great for the aeropress - for FP at that size the coarse is very uneven - but I use it anyway - I would get a baratza if you aren't concerned about travel gear...

Porlex mini+aeropress = ultimate travel/office setup.

13. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

This is a common trick for home roasters called a melange. Roast 1/2 lb. to a medium roast and another 1/2 lb. of the same bean to a dark roast and mix together to get the best of both. I think I have only seen Blue Bottle do it commercially.

I agree with aravenel on Peet's. The lesser of two evils when traveling, but only if I have exhausted all avenues to find a good pour over. Peet's roast too dark for my tastes.

14. A Y

A Y Senior member

I love Peet's, and it's taught me how to love dark roasts. If you let the coffee cool a bit, that's where Peet's really comes into its own: sweetness, complexity, even a bit of acidity. Most coffee is drunk too hot anyway, but the stuff that comes out Peet's brewing machines is way too hot to drink immediately. Speaking of which, their brew machines are really unmatched when it comes to making drip brew. Nothing else comes close, and not certainly any of the single-serve methods (Aeropress, siphon, pourover) which are basically hamstrung by their low volume.

There are two great Peet's beans: their Arabian Mocha Sanani, which is available all year round, and their seasonal Ethiopian Supernatural. No one else offers anything like them.

15. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Define "unmatched." In volume or taste? The worst pour over I have tasted is still better than the best cup of Peet's I have tasted.

16. A Y

A Y Senior member

I think we have pretty different tastes in coffee. I've never had a pourover that I've liked, even from the famous cafes. They've always been thin, sour, and underextracted. The Peet's brew is like a clean French press: lots of body, no silt, strong coffee character. The physics also goes against any kind of single-serving extraction method: the volume of water is small compared to the area of the filter and the amount of grounds, so you get more paper taste and tend towards underextraction. CCD is the only thing I've had that is close to the Peet's brew.

17. patrickBOOTH

I agree 110%

18. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Agreed, we are looking for different tastes from our coffee.

Some might say the whole point of pour over is to reduce body and accentuate the higher notes. Perhaps what you call "sour" I taste as acidic fruit notes. I can't comment on famous cafes since I do most of my pour over at home. My own pour over with a Hario Woodneck with cloth filter is far from thin, sour, and underextracted. I have also had good pour over at Four Barrel in SF and Paper or Plastik in LA.

But different strokes and such... there's room for all. I totally understand if pour over is not to your liking.

19. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

Clever coffee dripper is my preferred method. Best of both worlds. Clean cup with good body, since its an immersion brewer with a filter.

20. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I ordered a couple bags awhile back and that's a pretty good summary of my experience. Their beans are not any cheaper than Stumptown/Intelligensia/etc either.