• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I hope you enjoy the Peets! Which one did you get?
Since you're in North Carolina, you definitely should check out Counterculture, who have places in Durham and Ashville that offer free weekly cuppings (that's the way roasters and coffee buyers judge coffee) along with more advance classes at those two locations. They're one of the best examples of the light roasted coffee scene. http://counterculturecoffee.com/education

I went with house and major dickason, then they threw in new guinea highlands. I figure I'll determine what I like or don't like about those and adjust my next order accordingly.

I'll be sure to check out Counterculture at some point too, it's nearby :)

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today. *happy*
No worries. I'll stop spamming the thread with my newb progress, but I'm very happy that it works even better now (after an initial stagnation of about 20 cappuccini). Too many bubbles and a little random but it's taking shape.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pb showed me around williamsburg today. Was awesome.

3a9ytehe.jpg

Toby's estate. Single origin from I don't know where. Light. Citrusy. Lots of red fruit.

ezu5yhaq.jpg
a8asyzen.jpg

Sweet leaf using mora Mora valley beans from ethiopia roasted by sight glass. Also really light, citrusy. Could have several of these.

eha7usyb.jpg

New orleans style cold brew from blue bottle. By far the best thing I've had in a long time. Was delicious and I normally dislike milk in my coffee. Nice sweetness. Chicory? Lovely

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but two shots, and BB iced coffee, I was definitely feeling it.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i definitely felt it. head was buzzing rest of the day

Knowledge is King

Reaction score

North Carolina. I finally bought an electric grinder because my hand grinder was a pain in the butt and wobbly, so now I'm trying to look into getting some decent beans as well. Since I'm not sure what's here locally, I figured some of the online shops would be easier to get coffee I know had been roasted in the past week.
Placed my order with peets. They threw in a pound for free for some reason. Worked out to ~10/lb after shipping. Good deal, looking forward to getting it :)

Counter Culture Coffee is local for you (they have a national presence in cafes too) and they are one of the best roasters in the country. They're definitely in a league above Peet's.

edit: sorry, didn't see the post above saying basically the same thing

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brikka, WTF. Discuss.

I cannot get no crema, with that ****.

Is every espresso machine in 1000 dollar range an unreliable piece of crap? Is there anything made to last anymore?

Discuss.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Begin to drink one week after roast date ~. Anything up to 4 weeks shouldn't be a problem whatsoever, three months is passable. Just grind freshly, every time before use. Store the beans in a cold dark place. (I have found that the vegetable box thingies in the fridge work well and I put the beans in tin boxes)

One should never freeze the beans in the Freezer. C'mon man. Get the beans out of the fridge, pronto.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brikka, WTF. Discuss.
I cannot get no crema, with that ****.

If you want fake crema, you're good with a Bialetti Brikka. If you don't get any "crema" whatsoever, you're doing it wrong.

Is every espresso machine in 1000 dollar range an unreliable piece of crap? Is there anything made to last anymore?
Discuss.

No. Yes.

One should never freeze the beans in the Freezer. C'mon man. Get the beans out of the fridge, pronto.

Why would I freeze them?

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you want fake crema, you're good with a Bialetti Brikka. If you don't get any "crema" whatsoever, you're doing it wrong.
No. Yes.
Why would I freeze them?

I should have said dry them, dehydrate them in the fridge. Dark is good, cold is not.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then tell me where else to store them to not have extreme fluctuation in extraction time. Works much better now.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I totally forgot about this moment in the original iPhone introduction: Steve Jobs prank-calling Starbucks for 4000 lattes in the video excerpt below. It's amazing to see that 5 years ago, before the iPhone, stuff like this was considered pretty amazing!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads