1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

Is there a competition I don't know about?

AY, did I misread that? $16 for 3.5 oz?

lefty

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  2. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Who prefers making their own cup of coffee rather than going to the cafe and buy some?

1 person likes this.
  3. ryogrif

ryogrif Well-Known Member Affiliate Vendor

I would much rather make my own cup at home, but there is something to be said about the rejuvenating powers of spending time at one's third place (favourite cafe).

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Brewed coffee, I'd rather make at home. Espresso, I recognize that I have neither the gear nor the patience, and go to a cafe.

1 person likes this.
  5. A Y

A Y Senior member

That looks like the Ka'u peaberry. The mokka is further down the page at $24/8 oz. It's definitely boutique coffee with none of the scale of production of the bigger farms. Hawaii (the state) does have larger farms that are more mechanized in their harvesting and processing that sells cheaper coffee, but the stuff that's grown on really great land is pretty much really small production.

I do, but if I'm lazy, I'll drop by Peet's to get a small cup of their regular coffee, because it is probably the best drip brew coffee available if you like their roasting style. Their small is a 12 oz. serving, which I always thought was a huge amount of coffee. It's served way too hot and that masks a lot of their coffee's flavors. If you let it cool down a bunch, they really come through.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

What's peet's roasting style like?

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

Okay good. I draw the line at $70/lb. That's nespresso territory.

lefty

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

Dark. They are trying some lighter roasts, but their beans usually have lots of oil on them. You have to brew them a little differently: use water as close to boiling as you can manage, and agitate/stir more because the husks of the beans are tougher from the darker roast and don't let the flavors extract as easily. You may want a finer grind size as well. The large brewing machines that Peet's uses in their stores are said to be among the best drip brewers available, but it's not suitable for home use because it's used to brew gallons at a time, and brewed coffee goes bad in less than 30 minutes. Single-serve brewing (basically all brewing done at home) is hamstrung by the low volume of water compared to the filter and coffee bed size.

One of the most surprising discoveries for me recently was their French Roast blend: it was really delicious when it was offered as one of their drip brews, despite being one of their darkest roasts.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I've never had a dark roast I liked.

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I just went through a couple pounds of Peets and now I'm back to other roasters that use a lighter profile. Just not for me. Tried a couple varieties and none of them popped, including the East African stuff I usually love.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Seems like the new trend has been lighter roasts across the board. I miss dark roasts.

12. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

For myself, palette has moved towards "lighter roasts". Not third wave super light brown on the beans type of roast, but what most people would term medium, maybe slightly dark. Pete's and Starbucks normal blends really do blast the beans in their roasting process. It creates a ashy burnt type of taste with a lot of boldness. Nothing wrong with that, taste is personal. It's become subjective in what I consider dark roast.

One of my personal favorites I found during my coffee obsession phase, less so now than before, was Espresso Vivace's Dolce blend. It's definitely not a bright blend, but its very enjoyable. I'll let the website do the talking for the taste notes.

https://www.espressovivace.com/blends.html

13. Aneil4lom

Aneil4lom Senior member

I grind my beans extremely fine (til they're like powder). I make a double-shot of espresso, sweeten it and then make a mix that's one third coffee, two thirds milk.
    I'm willing to drink almost anything once it's arabica beans. Starbucks: frech Roast, Veranda Blend, Komodo. Godiva Flavoured Coffee, Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee.

Recently I'm drinking some some beans I purchased from a place called The Nutbox in Chelsea, NY.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

McDonald's coffee is arabica

15. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

16. b1os

b1os Senior member

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  17. suited

suited Senior member

Our office has those awful keurig prepacked coffees. My fiance likes bustelo, so that's what I will drink at home and occasionally bring to work.

18. b1os

b1os Senior member

So, I'll likely go for an AeroPress + Hario Skerton (I really don''t want to use my Vario Home v2 for both espresso and filter settings). I guess some of you have the Skerton. Do you use the Orphan Espresso lower bearing mod to reduce fines? I'm sure the effect is very noticeable when preparing French Press. But the extraction should be more even when there's less fines even for preperations like the AeroPress. Or has someone tried it and didn't notice a difference since there are naturally less fines when one grinds finer than French Press for AP/CCD?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

If there is a mod for it I would go that route. The burrs wobble quite a bit while cranking so anything that creates a more consistent grind would be beneficial.

20. b1os

b1os Senior member

Ok, I've just seen this note:

The thing is, what do they mean with coarse/fine? Fine = espresso fine or fine = AeroPress or something fine?

I guess I'll see how content I am with the unmodded results and eventually order the mod in case I'd like a more even grind.