Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. kronik

kronik Senior member

Looking to buy some coffee as a gift for a friend.. he generally drinks kona that he imports from Hawaii or some such. I'd like it to be worth giving as a gift though not necessarily civet.

2. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

Where do you live? If you can find a good local roaster with some expensive single-origin beans, I'm sure he'd appreciate some freshly-roasted grail coffee.

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Can you coffee nerds help me out with this: I just bought a coffee scoop that's supposed to weight out to 22g (1.5tbsp). But, when I weigh it on the scale, I get 9 or 10g. Am I missing something here?

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

Maybe it refers to an espresso fine grind while you use a rough grind?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Could be the opposite. I use a paper filter fine grind and maybe its for something else?

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Which makes a better cup of coffee? Go with that.

7. A Y

A Y Senior member

Measuring by volume is tricky because the actual amount of coffee you use can be affected by how packed the coffee is. And if you measure whole beans, different coffee beans are different sizes and densities, so volume isn't accurate there either.

Measuring by weight is better, but this may not be an option for you if you're travelling.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'm just wondering how the values (listed vs. weighed) can be so wildly different. I just tried it again with my new bag of coffee and got the same 10g. How the hell can they advertise 1.5tbsp as 22g???

9. A Y

A Y Senior member

There is no way 22 grams is 1.5 Tsp --- maybe 4 or 5 Tsp might be closer. Maybe it was a typo?

10. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

AY is right.

22 grams is about 2/3 of a Troy Oz.

I work with grams of gold a lot and there is no way that 1.5 Tsp would weigh 22 grams. Probably 2.2 grams ( as opposed to 22 grams ) would be about right and that could be what the packaging should have said.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Well, according to this website:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/convert/measurements.html

Dry Measure Equivalents

3 teaspoons 1 tablespoon 1/2 ounce 14.3 grams

So, by that estimation, its technically possible. But obviously this is a density issue, because measuring flour and butter will give you 2 different weights. The thing that I don't get is - what form of coffee they could have possibly weighed to have gotten 22g out of 1.5 tbsp. You couldn't fit that many whole beans in a tablespoon and a half to get 22g.

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

15 ml = 1 Tbsp, 15 ml water = 15 g, 1.5 Tbsp = 22.5 g ... of water. That is my guess.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

So, this is a liquid coffee scoop?

14. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

This unexpectedly came in the mail from a client in London. First shot was awful. Dialed in about 4th shot. Takes a few shots after that to get used to the taste and figure out what all is going on with the flavor profiles since I'm used to a very different style of espresso.
    Wendelboe wants to bring out the natural sweetness in his beans. It's like eating something spicy and you don't get the spiciness immediately but it builds in a minute or so. 30 seconds after you finish a shot this sweet finish builds. After a few more shots I'm realizing how fantastic this is and how unique and then the bag is finished. Never had any espresso like this. Don't know if I'll ever get more of this but it was really good. It would be my go to espresso bean if it was more accessible. Shipped to USA from his online store it's $105.00 including VAT. Even the packaging was unique and of a higher quality.

His website is an excellent source, he blogs a lot about his experience.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012