Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

Well, technically the steam has dropped in temperature by the time it reaches the coffee. The temperature in the kettle of an espresso machine is roughly 212°F, too. It has a longer way to reach the portafilter though, so yeah, the temperature is a little too high in a bialetti, but it's a great invention for easy to make coffee. A rustic one, but great nonetheless. The early espresso machines hit the coffee with 260°F steam, too. ;)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Its like how my grandmother makes espresso. Boils water and throws grinds into the boiling water and lets it boil until there is sludge.

3. b1os

b1os Senior member

Turkish coffee/mokka? Without boiling, obviously -- just simmering. Probably the oldest way of preparing coffee there is. I have never had classic turkish coffee yet. I think I will try. Will use a mortar to grind it to powder -- my Vario v2 can't handle that. What kind of beans are the best choice? Espresso beans? Italian (dark) or "northern European" (lighter) roast?

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

There's a lot of info on you tube about it. I would check out some of those videos.

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

Will do.

----

Jesus, I've ground 750g espresso beans in three or four days. That's over 10 doppios per day. :uhoh:

6. A Y

A Y Senior member

Nice setup b1os. Hope you'll keep us apprised of how it goes.

7. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

ok so classic turkish coffee is normally a dark roast, and can be a medium, but really do your preference of roast, also remember cardamom goes in as an ingredient and mint is used too

here is one style of doing it... (assuming 2 cups)
    bring water to a boil in a turkish coffee pot on stove
    put 1 - 2 table spoons of coffee
    add sugar per desired quantity, i'd say 2 teaspoons
    add a little bit of cardamom (mint optional)

drink and enjoy

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

Don't you let it simmer for a while? At least that's what I thought you do. I still have 250g of a dark roast (see below).

Thanks! It works quite good so far. I'm at 25s/14g (standard Silvia doppio sieve.. probably a little too few coffee; will have to try a bigger sieve)/50-60ml right now. Tastes good, but the crema could be a little stronger (there is a good amount of crema, but when you put sugar on it, the sugar sinks in a second or two -- not that I like my espresso with sugar, but that's a good test for checking the strength of the crema, afaik; moreover it sometimes is quite light; might also be due to the small-ish sieve -- but hey, Nespresso uses 5g/shot, so it's a big upgrade :p)). I'm using a 100% arabica (New York Caffè Extra, 95% arabica + 5% Jamaica Blue Mountain) at the moment. My next beans will be 85% arabica and 15% robusta, so probably even more crema and more forgiving in general.

The Silvia is easy to use. The "temperature surfing" (it's no real surfing with the v3, just wait til it stops heating and you're good to go) works good. Steam power is also pretty good. I'm quite close to microfoam, but my 25cl Motta Europa can is a little on the small side. I ordered the 35cl for single cappuccos and the 50cl for when I prepare two today. I've had my first "success" at Latte Art. Well, I didn't prodcue anything close to Latte Art, but the milk sank below the crema, which is a first success to me. Just happened once though.

Still working on tampering. Quite difficult to get a perfectly centered tamp. I'm often readjusting the center.

But what am I talking about, I'm a newb and four days excessive use don't change a lot about that. Will report back if something improves dramatically though.

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

nah no simmer, there are diff ways of doing it, but what you really want is for the coffee to foam up for a sec and take it off the stove before the foam overflows, once it settles you drink

but as i said its just one way of doing the coffee, my dad does it slightly differently and he has been making an amazing cup of coffee for years (my grandmother always praises it to this day)

10. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

one nice trick is to add the sugar to the boiling water and not stir it, letting it slowly sink to the bottom. this caramelizes the sugar and adds a slightly different taste. so i add the sugar and cardamom to the boiling water, add one scoop of very fine fresh grind to the water and don't stir but let it boil up and settle 3 times (sometimes 7, but always either 3 or 7 for some reason) and then serve the crema followed by the coffee into the cup, let it settle for a minute or two and enjoy.

in fact i'm going to make some right now

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

Do you really use just one teaspoon per 1 cup/250ml water? Sounds very watery.

12. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

nice, will try that sometime...

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

14. MattR

MattR Senior member

I'm gonna have to think on that. Thanks for pointing it out.

15. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

no it's about one scoop of beans for every cup that is about 30ml volume