Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Interesting. Like Cab Franc?

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

the cab francs i've had have been pretty light.

i'm not sure how to explain what i taste. not fruity like a wine, but if you could imagine a rich coffee with just the green pepper/vegetal notes of one of the bordeaux varietals. like the bitterness of arugula in the finish. im going to see what happens if i put in less coffee cuz it seems like it could be nicer at a more dilute level.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

See to me this sounds amazing and I love bordeaux. Haha, I am going to have to try it.

4. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

This doesn't sound very attractive to me (I'm more partial to notes of raspberry and dark chocolate and stuff), but if V8-flavored coffee is your cup of tea, it might be good as an americana. Just throwing that out there.

5. A Y

A Y Senior member

I am not a fran of vegetable-flavored coffees, or anything that's not well-balanced. Sometimes some of the 3rd wave roasters (I'm looking at you Verve) go a little bit too far in amplifying the weird flavors in their coffee to the detriment of the overall drink. We like to enjoy coffee too! That's why I appreciate roasters like Peet's, which makes coffee that tastes like coffee instead of some vehicle for wacky flavors.

6. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I have one, and I like the coffee all right, and the thing looks great and I'm less likely to clumsily smash it in my cast iron sink than a glass bodum, but I just can't get over the mess of cleaning the damned thing up afterwards. So it is sitting in the cupboard and I am using the Aeropress on the regular.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  7. b1os

b1os Senior member

The both of you can donate it to a good cause, i.e. me. The guys over at coffeegeek also said that there's one cup lost but rated it 9.5/10 anyways. I think it's a great idea but it would be even better if one could minimize the loss. Anyway, I think I'll go with a classic Bodum first.
    My Chemox will arrive tomorrow. I've never been a real fan of drip coffee or so but maybe that'll change. Can't always pour cups full of espressi. :laugh: I'll use a rather cheap coffee grinder from Bosch, it will do the job, I uess. It'll get replaced once I find a mid/high-end used grinder.

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

I'm in Peet's central and tend to go there more than any other coffee joint. Just wish they'd back off from the dark roasts.

lefty

9. A Y

A Y Senior member

I prefer to brew their beans myself, and usually only get the iced, sweet stuff at their store, but they will make you an individual brew serving of a bean in the store if you ask --- it's not on the menu. That's a good way to try out a bean before taking a lot home. I'm sure they can give you a small sample of beans to take home to try brewing at home, too.

Two beans that have been good: the Arabian Mocha Sanani which is available regularly, and their occasional special beans like the Ethiopian Supernatural, Blue Batak, etc. They're pretty dark roasts, but brewed right, they're pretty delicious. I like a paper filter brew to minimize the ashiness that their dark roasts can get.

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

How much coffee do you use for an eight cup Chemex, or how much in general per amount of water? Chemex page says 1T per 5oz but that's not really precise.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

12. b1os

b1os Senior member

Great, thanks. So, are you standard or a connoisseur? :satisfied:

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

lol. i tried both. i usually go with the standard unless i feel like more coffee would make it better.

i am not worthy

14. Bond111

Bond111 Senior member

Where is a good place online to order some good beans? Where I live, we only have 1 place I'm aware of that you can have your coffee roasted fresh (dunn brothers coffee)

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member