Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the beans are good but at the Stumptown location in midtown I haven't had many great shots for some reason.

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

What kind of French Press do you have? Bodum? The Bodum Chambord looks nice. How do you keep the coffee warm if you make one liter? Fill it in a thermos bottle or put it over a warmer? It shouldn't be a problem if I prepare just half a liter in the liter jug, right?

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Bodum. The 1 litre size basically makes two cups of coffee. The second cup waits in the bodum until I finish the first - usually about 5 minutes - or into a thermos. I often make a single cup with 30 gms of grounds.

lefty

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

Thank you! :)

Edit: Gotta be fucking kidding me.. Ten minutes ago it was 28€ at amazon. Now it's 39€. :fu:

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

I've just ordered a Chemex. Will wait with the order of the Bodum until they drop the price again.

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

Did you get the filters as well?

lefty

7. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

A true connoisseur drinks the coffee immediately. :D

In all seriousness, though, leaving the coffee in the pot is a bad idea, since it continues to steep.

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

@lefty: Yes. It's the key of the system, isn't it?

@CDHagg: So what do you do? When you pour it to another beaker, it will lose lots of temperature.

9. A Y

A Y Senior member

Really I wouldn't worry about it. Pouring into a thermos bottle won't lose much heat, and at that point all the extraction is done anyway, so temperature doesn't matter unless you like your coffee super hot (which you shouldn't if you want to taste the coffee).

Or you could get an insulated French press. Some are double-walled glass, Bodum sells a neoprene sleeve for their single wall presses, or you could splurge and get the Espro press.

10. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

If I plan to drink part of the press at a later time (e.g. once I'm out th door and driving), I pour it into a preheated double-walled thermos. When I brew two cups and plan to drink them both within a few minutes of each other, a preheated mug usually works. I also have a warming pad that I put the second mug on - works wonders!

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

Sounds tempting. But it really is expensive, 3-4x the price of a Bodum. Looks great, however. I'll read a little into it. Do you have one?

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

Yes, but I don't like it, because it leaves too much stuff below the filter, so you have to make more than you normally drink. The double filter takes up more room below than a normal French press screen, so there's a lot of liquid trapped under there. I think we talked about it on this thread a few weeks ago, because someone else has it and likes it.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

this is what i do.

do the same thing you do with your tea. i'm sure you steep and put it in a separate container to prevent it from steeping longer.

nice thing with chemex is you dont need a separate container (although it loses temperature pretty rapidly)

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

My girlfriend makes french press in the morning. She uses a single cup press and just rinses it out and makes a second cup.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

interesting. seems kind of a pain tho

i got these bolivia beans from gimme that the barista recommended cuz of its vegetal notes and i find i really dislike the vegetal notes. almost tanniny like green pepper