• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A2E60E88-E5BA-49E0-87FF-A902D7DF4AB4.jpeg

BigGee

Reaction score
Anyone care to list their "Daily Driver" coffee ?
I use a french press and generally prefer medium roasts. I'm looking for something that's available year round.
As a reference, I've been trying Peet's coffee and haven't found anything outstanding.

I'm getting a bit frustrated - looking for something with a good taste and a "wake up" edge.
Looking to get a regular coffee in place so I can experiment, but have a good brew to go back to.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a french press and generally prefer medium roasts. I'm looking for something that's available year round.
As a reference, I've been trying Peet's coffee and haven't found anything outstanding.

I'm getting a bit frustrated - looking for something with a good taste and a "wake up" edge.
Looking to get a regular coffee in place so I can experiment, but have a good brew to go back to.

I buy the Wegman's brand Colombian beans for my daily driver. It's about $6 a pound and is a solid cup for the price. On weekends, I break out the Tarrazu, Yrgacheffe, or Sumatra depending on what is around.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've looked into this intermittently and it seems like a huge rabbit hole. Especially because my home is small in NYC, space is limited and the process cooks up a decent amount of smoke. As with most things I try to accept the fact that somebody who does this for a living is bound to go a better job, with less waste, than me in my limited spare time.
Kind of the same. It seems like the low-end roasters that are good entries just take so damn long that I'm not that interested. And to get an automatic one that would do the job well it's a physically large commitment which I just can't do. I do think it would be fun to do but maybe when I am retired of have finished my mansion.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Where do you buy beans and what beans are you using now? Do you follow the roast date and use them within a reasonable time?
sometimes get bored with what I use as a daily driver and want a change.
Some roasts/beans lose their consistent taste and I move on.
Roasters I buy from have various methods of processing beans like, washed, honey, natural, etc.
Bounce between roasting methods to get a variation of taste.
bought a natural processed Nicaraguan this week.
Naturals vary and can be pretty funky but I like them.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go through about 12oz of coffee beans a week. I used to run to the coffee shop that sells it but if I order direct from their roaster, they roast, bag, then send so it is fresher. Only downside is the $50 spend for free shipping but 4 bags easily tops that now and I can enjoy it over a month. Also, ordering from the website provides more of a selection than in-store which only has a few different to choose from.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go through about 12oz of coffee beans a week. I used to run to the coffee shop that sells it but if I order direct from their roaster, they roast, bag, then send so it is fresher. Only downside is the $50 spend for free shipping but 4 bags easily tops that now and I can enjoy it over a month. Also, ordering from the website provides more of a selection than in-store which only has a few different to choose from.

I have a subscription through Trade Coffee. You can choose the order frequency (mine comes every two weeks), shipping is free, and you get 15% off each bag. A great way to try out different roasters.

BigGee

Reaction score
"Where do you buy beans and what beans are you using now? Do you follow the roast date and use them within a reasonable time?"
I'm using Peet's coffee right now. Their coffee is roasted and then delivered within a couple of days.

I like to experiment, but am looking for a good solid cup to go back to. I get through about 1lb / week.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd been having quite good success with my espresso, now all of a sudden shots are pulling WAY too fast. Like, 12 seconds. I can't see anything obvious that's different. Doesn't even really look like channeling. Anyone ever seen something like this?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd been having quite good success with my espresso, now all of a sudden shots are pulling WAY too fast. Like, 12 seconds. I can't see anything obvious that's different. Doesn't even really look like channeling. Anyone ever seen something like this?
Same beans? I've had different beans demand different grinder settings...

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Same beans? I've had different beans demand different grinder settings...

Different beans, but usually that's a couple second difference at max and I can dial it in easily. Never had beans make it go to such a fast flow before.

I've got another batch around, guess I'll try another bean and see if it helps.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different beans, but usually that's a couple second difference at max and I can dial it in easily. Never had beans make it go to such a fast flow before.

I've got another batch around, guess I'll try another bean and see if it helps.
Only other thing I can think of is maybe it's time to throw a grinder-cleaner puck in there.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only other thing I can think of is maybe it's time to throw a grinder-cleaner puck in there.

I actually ordered some yesterday. I've never cleaned the grinder using anything more thorough than a brush, and not nearly often enough on that.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hard to diagnose.
Has happened when the beans were too fresh and haven't rested/degassed long enough. Or the beans were old.
Have you tried grinding finer or increasing the dose?
Have you checked the seal If it’s worn or seated properly?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cleaning the grinder fixed it. Actually had to go significantly less fine than I had been to get the right shot time, it must have been getting worse for a while. Thanks for prompting me to stop being lazy and actually doing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads