• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ubiquity of $7 pourovers piss me off. If there's ever a reason to make your own coffee at home ...

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't care if it was $50 a cup. I had to try it. Never again.

Can't you just get the bean? Use a CCD, and you'll have better and more consistent results than pourover.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Can't you just get the bean? Use a CCD, and you'll have better and more consistent results than pourover.

Well this was that fancy machine that sucks in water and heats it perfectly and whatever, generally when I go to a cafe I get espresso, but I wanted to try this super controlled mechanism. I think a lot of the settings should change depending on the coffee and the drinkers taste, not just one setting for everything, which is I think what they do. I found it way too hot and burnt.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, you had a Clover. Starbucks owns that company now, and when they bought it, I thought all the 3rd wave hipsters sold off those things in a fit of pique.

The most expensive Starbucks Clover coffee I've seen is $3.25 for a small cup of Ethiopian dry-process Harrar, but they're usually under $3 for other beans. It's not bad, especially if you're in a town where you don't know the coffee scene. Clovers can be amazingly consistent, but they can be programmed to do just about anything, and it doesn't control the grind, so there are plenty of places to mess up still.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ah, you had a Clover. Starbucks owns that company now, and when they bought it, I thought all the 3rd wave hipsters sold off those things in a fit of pique.
The most expensive Starbucks Clover coffee I've seen is $3.25 for a small cup of Ethiopian dry-process Harrar, but they're usually under $3 for other beans. It's not bad, especially if you're in a town where you don't know the coffee scene. Clovers can be amazingly consistent, but they can be programmed to do just about anything, and it doesn't control the grind, so there are plenty of places to mess up still.

Apparently the Grumpy that I was at had the first one and Howard Schultz visited that exact one and that is when he decided to buy the company.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Was the same Asian couple running things or did you see additional staff at Grumpy?

tomenugen

Reaction score

Apparently the Grumpy that I was at had the first one and Howard Schultz visited that exact one and that is when he decided to buy the company.

If it's recent, the device might be a Bunn Trifecta.

hhenryhhh

Reaction score
I would very much like to reset my caffeine tolerance.

Can't be harder than quitting smoking right? Right?

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ken Spinozza

Reaction score
Segafredo espresso casa coffee
Cafeteira pot (moka)

Café do Brasil - 80% café arábica 20% rebusta (a balance that I like)

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tried it this morning -- used too much coffee, and made it too strong. Will try it with less tomorrow.
Thing is a bit of a bear to clean up after use. :(

Tried it again this morning, and had more success -- I still had to dilute the result in my cup a little, because I don't like it that strong, but that is correctable by using fewer grounds. Will only make a little less than 8 cups at one go.

Current verdict: looks great; makes a better coffee than standard french press; keeps coffee hotter longer than french press because of double-hull stainless design. Still a mess to clean (like french press, I guess), which is a bit of a downer for somebody spoiled by the Aeropress like me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads