• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Lets talk about COFFEE

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not surprised that your tap water doesn't taste good especially if you're used to RO. Water is a huge factor in coffee, and even a Brita will make a big difference. Hoffman also found the Brita to be very good to his surprise. When I visit my family, I use Brita'd tap water, and it tastes good though with more minerality which causes more outgassing. Flavors are a little different than home, but delicious coffee is still delicious coffee.

I do want to try 3rd wave water at some point, but I should really use more of the ingredients I bought for my water mix before doing that.

re. yixing, my $30 Aeropress is made from plastic with no provenance. Also lots of mold flashing (seam lines) all around, but the plastic doesn't shrink and I can wash it with soap. Probably not even half handmade by a n00b apprentice tho. I have made tea with it too, which is probably heresy.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guess I should have posted this here.
Sold my pavoni stradivari and grinder last year to go full auto. Had good experience with Jura and they are one of the highest quality vendors out there, so the set was replaced by the A1.

The old:
AD1162CD-E94C-4ED0-9203-DBCA5C03A5AC.jpeg

The new:
1587201959686.jpeg

Which is currently packed up due to us building a new house..

stro

Reaction score
great thread, not sure why i never looked for it.

i know nothing other than switching to espresso 18 months ago helped me cut out an awful lot of mountain dew products and sweet tea (so there's an alternate universe where i chose to jump in on a different thread last week asking how best to gong fu brew a raising canes recipe, which i'm sure would have gone over great), and i've been running down rabbit holes on home-barista for the last 6 months. so i pulled the trigger on this stuff 3 weeks ago after my coffee shop shuttered for the pandemic and i have been absolutely smitten with the process and the results. i still know basically nothing.
cofy.png

I was a serious coffee geek probably ~12 years ago where I would get gadgets and brew at 3am and stand on your head and all of that, but it is a novelty that wears off when you soon realize the recipe for great coffee is very simple. All else is splitting hairs.
i read back through this thread a bit and this post jumped out at me as a sentiment i probably needed to see and get around to adopting really soon.

having said that.....i sure am interested in dipping a toe into this nascent water recipe discussion!!
Amazon TDS meter? Mixing the recipes is giant PITA too even for concentrates because you have weigh out with 0.1g precision.
i have a pretty cheap 0.1g scale we got for baking and i was able to get a concentrate together for a robert pavlis recipe i found without too much effort. granted, that was a simpler recipe than the matt perger one in that you only add potassium bicarbonate. i—an admitted idiot!—am happy with my results. but i know some people are adamant that you need to add more than bicarbonate. curious if anyone here holds that opinion, and if so how they've tested or otherwise reached that conclusion?
Vac pot, aka siphon. It's awesome.

Clean brew, paper/metal filters, cool to watch, and consistently high-quality result. Plus it's one of the oldest brew methods around. You'll love it.
this is so cool. thank you for sharing. i've seen one in my coffee shop on a shelf but never thought to ask them what it was for. i will be surreptitiously admiring these for the rest of this morning. surreptitiously because if my wife, who has been content with her daily french press setup for the past 10+ years, sees me ogling more coffee equipment right now then i may not be not long for this world.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is so cool. thank you for sharing. i've seen one in my coffee shop on a shelf but never thought to ask them what it was for. i will be surreptitiously admiring these for the rest of this morning. surreptitiously because if my wife, who has been content with her daily french press setup for the past 10+ years, sees me ogling more coffee equipment right now then i may not be not long for this world.
My pleasure. If it helps your case, you could try arguing that as long as you're buying good beans, you can't afford not to own a vac pot! :teach:

Seriously — the bang/buck ratio is way better than an espresso setup, plus they're maintenance-free and look nice. Beats FP every time for brew quality in my opinion, too.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.