• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Lets talk about COFFEE

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sadly Gimme Coffee closed their doors in NYC permanently due. It makes me very sad. It was the first place to get me into coffee and I had great times on Lorimer street and made some great friends there. I hope they reopen somewhere else in the City in the future.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our local coffee places are still roasting and doing takeout and delivery, and one has turned into a bodega-like shop with dried and paper goods. Apparently, the restaurant supply chain is still pretty robust and functional unlike the consumer (grocery store) side.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a local roaster in my town that still has two of their three cafes open. They only allow take-out and are extra cautious about allowing people inside. A line forms outside (social distancing enforced), only one person at a a time is allowed in, no cash, no restroom use, and one of the employees sanitizes everything after each person leaves the shop and before the next one comes in.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, a few are still operating. I am going in and buying beans and cups of coffee even if I don't want them just to do what I can.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, a few are still operating. I am going in and buying beans and cups of coffee even if I don't want them just to do what I can.
I've been trying to do the same. I feel so bad for these roasters (and all of my local small businesses, for that matter). I've been ordering tons of beans (I probably have like 6-7 lbs at home right now), as well as gifts cards, and placing pick-up orders. Really hoping these local spots survive.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here, and also trying to do takeout for restaurants that are near me.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You fuckers now have me hooked on fresh ground pour over coffee. Last thing I do before I go to bed on work nights now is put the appropriate amount of RO filtered water into my Corsori and grind coffee for the morning and put in the fridge.

:mad:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sadly Gimme Coffee closed their doors in NYC permanently due. It makes me very sad. It was the first place to get me into coffee and I had great times on Lorimer street and made some great friends there. I hope they reopen somewhere else in the City in the future.
Think their home base is in Syracuse. The roasting is done there. Wonder if that is closing? Gimme on Mott St was one of my favorites stops.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You fuckers now have me hooked on fresh ground pour over coffee. Last thing I do before I go to bed on work nights now is put the appropriate amount of RO filtered water into my Corsori and grind coffee for the morning and put in the fridge.

:mad:
Do you pre measure the water instead of using a scale to measure the water volume?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I will not go down a rabbit hole concerning how much water I put in the kettle!

supermang

Reaction score
I will not go down a rabbit hole concerning how much water I put in the kettle!
Good. Now time to go down another rabbit hole to figure out your preferred water recipe :) (since RO water is not good for coffee).

Try Matt Perger's water recipe:

My personal preference is to just skip the sodium bicarbonate

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good. Now time to go down another rabbit hole to figure out your preferred water recipe :) (since RO water is not good for coffee).

Try Matt Perger's water recipe:

My personal preference is to just skip the sodium bicarbonate
The water thing has been one of the most mysterious/frustrating things about making coffee. Haven’t been able to get RO for a while and seeing scale build up in my kettle now. May switch to mixing with distilled.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.