1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Stylish Dinosaur

Maybe I don't get coffee's subtleties, maybe it's still a bit too fresh or whatever but I had the Kochere from Barrington which was highly recommended to me and it is flavorless/underwhelming. Bah.

2. once a day

once a day Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

@am55 - HSL looks 100%

Yes, for Dalat coffee one have to be quite careful as not all of them are using the high grade coffee. Like most coffee producing countries, the best beans are normally going for export. And, only a few places in Dalat offers the elevation needed for the Arabica bean.

Need to curate a select list of coffee shops!

3. Gibonius

Gibonius Stylish Dinosaur

I've gotten the Kochere several times and there seems to be some batch variation. I remember being impressed when I first ordered it, maybe it's fallen off a bit since they first started offering it.

4. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Stylish Dinosaur

You could be on to something. I went extreme in correcting my cup using the Barista Hustle compass as a way of going, well how much could I dial it back? Still virtually no flavor. I got a little bit of acidity which is not supposed to be present.

Meanwhile, my cup of La Union from Barrington is delicious.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I’m in Seattle at the moment at Storyville coffee. Excellent.

6. justridiculous

justridiculous Distinguished Member

I was just there a few weeks ago! Good coffee and really great customer service.

7. patrickBOOTH

Yeah, very nice people. I don’t know if it’s just a west coast thing, but baristas in nyc are jaded and cranky, don’t want to talk to you for a second about the coffee.

8. justridiculous

It really depends on the place and the city. I grew up in Portland, and it's pretty hit-and-miss the last few years; historically, Portland servers and baristas have been among the nicest of any city I've visited, but we've seen A LOT of transplants. Some places still have very friendly baristas, while other are pretty uppity and obnoxious. LA is also pretty hit-and-miss, San Francisco is full of arrogant baristas, but every now and then you'll get an SF native who is genuinely interested in talking to people and being kind. Seattle is mostly full of the jaded and cranky NYC variety, which is what makes Storyville such a gem.

9. once a day

once a day Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

Which one would your go to coffee place in SFC? We got stuck at a lot of blue bottles down town and Mission comes with a certain attitude. We did the drive from Settle to San Diego back in '13 and I agree that Portland has the pole position. Though that genuine service seemed to extend beyond coffee shops. Overall a great city.

10. patrickBOOTH

Had great experiences at achorhead too.

11. justridiculous

Probably Ritual and Sightglass. I like Four Barrel as well.