1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 12 : Löf and Tung MTO shoes from Skoaktiebolaget

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 12th auction of the year is for a pair of Löf and Tung MTO (made-to-order) shoes from Skoaktiebolaget. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Belligero

Belligero Distinguished Member

Nice tips and info. :cheers:

I still love the speed, grind quality and zero-retention nature of the Lido 3 for both home and travel use, but that Apex seems like the personal brew grinder to have if portability isn't as much of a concern. Very much looking forward to trying it out sometime.

By the way, how's the Kinu working out for you? It looks like a high-quality and well-thought-out design; any notable differences between it and your OE after some time with both?

2. Girardian

Girardian Distinguished Member

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

3. Girardian

IMG_3908.jpg

4. Girardian

Here’s the current espresso set up. I have other coffee prep methods, vac pot being the most commonly used.

IMG_3913.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg

IMG_3917.jpg

Custom Pullman Big Step tamper and Chisel Tool
    Acaia Lunar scale with portafilter pad
    Malkhonig EK43S
    ECM Synchronica (latest version)
    Pullman and VST baskets
    ECM Portafilter stand
    Stompa dosing cup
    Lyn Weber blind tumbler (pictured) and individual bean cellars (for pre-weighed beans for quick access to making shots).
    BWT BestMax under sink softner / filter for water

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

5. A Y

A Y Distinguished Member

You're welcome! I haven't found huge differences between the two: they're more alike in the brews they make than not. The Kinu is much easier to adjust than the lock-ring thing on the Lido, and the longer handle makes it easier to grind, but harder to store. BTW, I'm also doing WDT now for my grinds: I spray a tiny bit of water on the beans before I grind them, and that basically makes either grinder zero retention.

6. Belligero

Belligero Distinguished Member

Thanks for the reply.

For sure; it’s amazing the difference that a bit of moisture on the beans can make on a dry day. Instead of a clingy fuzz of grounds, fines and silver skin, you get nothing but clean metal.

A drop or two works well enough, but I’m even happier with the results from using a small spray bottle to provide a nice even misting. That and a light tap on the counter after a grind means that everything goes into the catch cup.

And it’s a godsend when it comes to espresso.

7. jet lagged

jet lagged Member

Thanks so much. I'm spending 40% of my time in Japan (mainly Tokyo) and 60% in the Bay Area. I alternate, like you it seems, between kissaten and 3rd wave places. Sarutuhiko (bunch of young guys and gals who said- we can do this better than all the foreign upstarts)- started with a small shop in Ebisu and now have multiple locations. Takes them almost 10 minutes of "doing whatever beyond precision" to do an espresso but it's damn good.

I tried Olso Coffee which only does siphon and pour over in Gotanda last week. I think they are in Nakameguro as well. The $6 latte I had was good but not "Oh Wow...let's get off the train and go here.." It also looks too much like a Tully's for some reason.

In Jiyugaoka, there is a kisseten type place on modern Marie Claire street run by an ex semi-famous Japanese rock guitar guy who is in his 60s. Lots of NRBQ and blues playing and he does the burlap sack and choice of very old beans thing for about 800 yen a cup. On the other side of Jiyugoaka is Mellow Brown Coffee which pulls espressos and lattes really well and is meant to be a oshare/Portland style place. Coffee is great but its stupid expensive with 700/800 yen lattes, $14 sandwiches and is owned by Suntory. I think there are a few of these.

Koenji has a bean wholesaler and his wife who will make you a coffee if you ask. Then there is the 90 year old woman who has a weird little place that looks like it is a home for elves who does pour overs on the Minami side not far from the Momotaro jeans shop.

When I went to Kiyasumi-Shirakawa, I stopped at Blue Bottle on a Sunday morning and the music was club like and deafening. I saw James the owner speak a few weeks before and he said he doesn't like music as it distracts from the coffee. So I emailed him with a video of the shop.....a few blocks from there is a surf themed very small coffee place that does excellent pour over....forget the name

8. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Distinguished Member

Any recs for beans around $12/lb or less?

9. justridiculous

justridiculous Distinguished Member

Usually, you're looking at 12 oz bags nowadays. Check Trade Coffee; they sell a bunch of different roasters at various price points. A lot of good coffee to choose from.