1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8 : Enamel Odyssey Watch, courtesy of Atelier Wen

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction of the year is for an Enamel Odyssey Watch, courtesy of Atelier Wen. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. A Y

A Y Distinguished Member

The Curb is probably the best in Honolulu, but I'm not super enthusiastic about their coffee (typical 3rd wave sour stuff) even though I really like the people who work there and the atmosphere of the place. If they have any Ka'u coffee from Rusty's, then it's well worth it, but availability is sort of hit and miss.

A surprising place in HNL for decent coffee is B Patisserie in the new International Marketplace mall: the Kona coffee there is actually very tasty, and the kouign amanns are excellent, especially the one with black sesame seeds if it's there.

For SanFo, you have to visit Blue Bottle's Mint Plaza just for the experience. It's a beautiful facility, and the coffee's actually not too bad. There are all the other usual places people have discussed here before: Heart, 4Barrel, Sightglass, etc. Philz in the Mission area is still pretty funky, and is fun to visit.

2. marvin100

marvin100 Senior Member

Didn’t know Heart has an SF spot

3. A Y

A Y Distinguished Member

You're right, they don't. I was thinking of Ritual, and Heart came out of my fingers instead. My mistake!

4. jlchau

jlchau Senior Member

I like Andytown in SF.

5. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Stylish Dinosaur

Couldn't get to Curb, just too little time and it was too far away. Did get to B Patisserie (I think it was Maui Coffee Co. Roaster that ran the cafe?) and that place was excellent so thanks for the recommendation. Got a bag of their Maui beans which I thought were the best and then as an added bonus, they were like $15 a pound cheaper than their other Hawaiians. Just came from a great dim sum lunch so no room for the KA's unfortunately.

In Kaui there was Java Kai that had decent Hawaiian coffee in Kapaa and Trinity coffee had the most skilled baristas but their coffee was just stuff from the mainland.

6. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

Does anyone get beans delivered to their home? It was probably discussed already and you can admonish me for being lazy, but can anyone recommend some places to order from? Thanks :B

7. edinatlanta

So....where do you live? If you're in the USA just about anywhere decent. But internationally will take too long to get fresh beans.

8. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

i'm in new york, but i'm too lazy to go to a coffee shop to pick up beans :foo:

9. edinatlanta

You live/work near a Blue Bottle/La Colombe. Otherwise go with Tanager or Onyx or Heart.

10. marvin100

marvin100 Senior Member

I’d add Roseline to that list.

11. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

Any thoughts on Bird Rock? Always been very impressed with their choices.

12. sood

sood Senior Member

13. A Y

A Y Distinguished Member

One of the best out there. I always enjoy what they offer.

14. edinatlanta

so the A Y lovefest will continue again.

Went to the Blue Bottle and it was as he said. Went to Sightglass' SFMOMA kiosk and my espresso was too sour.

Found a little place called Certo that is pretty good. Contraband was just OK. Not worth a destination but they seemed to have a good range of offerings.

BUT WHY CANT ANY OF THESE PLACES JUST DO A SIMPLE DRIP? Each pourover has had that underwhleming character, even when they have the machines to automate it.

15. sood

sood Senior Member

try this, https://www.cafereveille.com/lowerhaight/ or any other location