• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Phrost

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Happy Mug Coffee? They're more affordable than most online roasters and their shipping is only $3 up to 3 lbs I think. They sell 1 lb and 1/2 lb bags, which is nice. Where the hell did the trend for 12 oz bags come from?

What would you recommend for an Aeropress? I think I like medium roasts and am interested in trying coffees with fruity sweet notes that people love.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone using a manual lever espresso machine for their coffee fix? I'm thinking about picking one up, but hesitant as I have read that they have a steep learning curve and can be inconsistent.

On the other hand, being in control of temp, pressure, etc. appeals to the control freak in me.

Any feedback from users?

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd try increasing the extraction. 16g to 18g does that slightly, but you may want to try more drastic measures. I'd probably grind finer and see how that goes.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
HAven't done a wrap up of places I've gone to get coffee lately.

Earlier in the year I went to Budapest. I can't remember the roasters' names but all of them were very good with that light-roasted Nordic-style coffee. Each place seemed to have Kenyans that were all typical Kenyan qualities. If I hadn't let as much time lapse between posting this maybe I'd be more helpful. Maybe I already posted it.

Then I went to Prague: DoubleShot was good but it was so far out of the way. Kafe Francin was my favorite by far. They had an espresso that was an Yrgichaffe/Brazil blend. Holy heck it was good. The end of each sip had that blueberry note that was just perfect. Their Rwanda and Sumatra were really solid examples of both.

Asheville's PennyCup was very excellent. I had their Papua New Guinea (not on the website which is SAD!) and I don't quite know how to say this because my palate isn't that refined (read: refined at all) but each cup was so super enjoyable. Tons and tons of all the characteristics people like in coffee. I'm not going to say it had the most nuanced flavors but in a way it was like, so what? Everythign else about it was tasty.

Boston was great. Went to Barrington which was as good as I had had and George Howell. I expected more from George Howell. Not that it was bad more that I was expecting maybe a Nirvanic experience as if I were doing a pilgrimage? It was still excellent. Passed on The Original (AKA: the Frappucino) but I realized now that's what I should've got.

I went somewhere else, too.

Reactions: A Y

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Kenyans this season have been good to spectacular. I agree about George Howell: I've had 1 really good brew there, and the rest have been kind of disappointing: not bad, but not as good as their reputation would imply. The baristas seem to care quite a bit and are knowledgeable but there's some sort of disconnect.

I also splurged recently on their 90+ Panama Gesha, and it's really disappointing, and actually pretty bad: it's like drinking lemon perfume with all high notes, and no low notes. No chocolate flavors, and really unbalanced towards the lighter stuff. The floral perfume is pretty ridiculous, even for a Gesha. I've tried two different brew methods now, and it's the same. I'm letting it sit for another week, and maybe it will mellow out.

chris_rosario

Reaction score
Will be visiting Florence, Italy this week. Any recommendations for good coffee spots?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
20171001_092544.jpg
20171001_093638.jpg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I forget what they called that brewing mechanism. Was it better than a pour over or aeropress? Probably not thousands of dollars better of at all.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Alpha Dominche brewer is like a robotic vacuum brewer, so it will be closer to a clean French press or Aeropress than pourover brew. Perhaps it's a bit gratuitous in its execution, but it's going to be more consistent than any pourover, and that's important when you're in a cafe putting out drinks all day. I'm still amazed that coffee shops try to serve pourover on a commercial scale.

Just got the Peet's Moka Batak Peaberry. Now this is what coffee's supposed to taste like! It's like the best Mocha Java blend you've ever had with tons of chocolate notes and a bit of fruit to give it sweetness. The George Howell Gesha has calmed down a bit after a week of aging, and now it's just sort of a freak show instead of a total freak show. Never one to learn, I have two more Geshas coming from Bird Rock this week some time.

Also, going to get my fifth hand grinder soon: this is the travel grinder from Knock that fits inside an Aeropress.

Chouan

Reaction score
Just an enquiry. I've got used to the idea of hand grinding my coffee and making it using a cafetiere. I am increasingly interested in trying better coffees, and would like to try making coffee from scratch. Can anybody tell me whether roasting one's own coffee is feasible and practicable? I have read a suggestion that it is possible using a pop corn machine? Any thoughts?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just an enquiry. I've got used to the idea of hand grinding my coffee and making it using a cafetiere. I am increasingly interested in trying better coffees, and would like to try making coffee from scratch. Can anybody tell me whether roasting one's own coffee is feasible and practicable? I have read a suggestion that it is possible using a pop corn machine? Any thoughts?

There are a few home roasters here. It's pretty practical. Have you seen Sweet Maria's guide to home roasting? Links are the top of this page: https://www.sweetmarias.com/category/roasting-equipment

Do want. Link?

Here you go: http://www.madebyknock.com/store/p39/aergrind_.html And then I saw the Feld 2 too ...

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Ordered the Aergrind. Don't see enough difference to order the Feld 2 when I already own a Feldgrind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads