Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. catwood1

catwood1 Member

Get a better nutritionist. ;)

Although aside from that, I drink coffee in a number of ways. Pour overs black. Cold brew black. Espresso + Steamed milk in various amounts of milk, and cool milky sweet things. Some cool drinks include:

Low milk iced lattee + Citrus peel simple syrup shaken. (Stolen from intelligencia)

3oz cold brew + 2oz tonic water, over 1 big ice cube ideally made from cold brewed cascara, but I'm lazy and I just make mixed berry tea, then make the ice out of that. Still fabulous.

2. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Sounds like you're not looking for artificial sweeteners? I only use sweetener in iced coffee, but I just use Splenda. Works fine for me. Stevia tastes weird in coffee for me.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Does anyone have any insight on coffee from Nepal? Barrington Coffee has some but there doesn't seem to be much other info online, or many people roasting it which isn't that surprising considering it's a small/nascent industry.

Speaking of Barrington, I just had probably the greatest cup of coffee I've ever made with their Aricha Yirgacheffe.

4. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

This is the first I've seen a US specialty roaster sourcing coffee from Nepal. I can't speak in too much detail, but my gut is that like most Asian coffees, the quality probably isn't stellar. This is usually driven way more by farming practices than by inherent climate issues. On the one hand that means that quality can be improved, but on the other hand, tends to trap a region with a chicken/egg dilemma. If quality isn't great, specialty importers don't invest in a region. If specialty importers don't invest in a region, there's not a lot of incentive for producers to improve quality. It usually ends up taking a gutsy importer or roaster to break this cycle.

5. A Y

A Y Senior member

Glad you enjoyed their Aricha! If you have a chance, their Ethiopian Hachira was stellar this year as was their Nigusse Lemma and Hambela (both also Ethiopian). Their Kintamani from Bali this past season was also amazing, and I've had very good east Indian coffees from them. It's really hard to go wrong with them, and their Nepal is next on my list.

6. edinatlanta

My setup at work including my new toy in the middle.

Also, man, I got the first grind waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay wrong. It's absurdly bitter. 20170510_074544.jpg

7. edinatlanta

Went from 14 to 10....still not there. Blech. Much better than before, though.

8. edinatlanta

I'm at a 9 and it's still a bit too much. Unsure if that's just the product of my new beans though which are quite dark...much more so than I thought they'd be. Going with the Brazilian now. The Malabar is odd. It looks like there's a medium and a darker roast mixed together. The medium is also quite oily. 20170511_081112.jpg

9. A Y

A Y Senior member

I'm guessing you're tasting your new beans more than the grinder setting for the bitterness. I have mine on 12 for Aeropress, and I think it's not very bitter at all.

10. otc

otc Senior member

Tried the coffee soda at Steadfast in nashville.

They take their flash chilled coffee (which itself is a pretty nice cold-brew equivalent), add some demerara and citric acid to stabilize the flavor, and then carbonate it.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Wouldn't be my go-to hot weather coffee order (I'd stick to something unsweetened like the plain flash chilled brew), but I'd totally take it over a Coke in many instances.

11. edinatlanta

Anyone in DC got any feedback on roasters? Going to try for Zeke's (a bit out the way).

Compass, Swing's and a few others whose names escape me are on my list. Filter is really good but I prefer roasters.

When I hit up Arlington (a rather inappropriate description for Memorial Day Weekend) I was thinking either Mayorga or Rappahannok.

12. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Anyone in or visiting Portland should try Tanager coffee. Served at Arbor Lodge and Cathedral. The Colombias are their main beans, but I had a Burundi that was amazing. Very strong roast game.