• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can anyone honestly tell the difference between a cappuccino and a latte? Like, they're just a bunch of milk and if you don't drink the cap fast all the foam just kind of collapses anyway.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes. Caps are or should be smaller. I think the difference in foam or whatever tends to be bs

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes. Caps are or should be smaller. I think the difference in foam or whatever tends to be bs

Obviously but I meant flavor wise.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Technically a cap should just have a higher coffee to milk ratio. I haven't drunk milk in years so I doubt I'd be able to tell any difference.

Last edited:

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

joshuadowen

Reaction score
Can anyone honestly tell the difference between a cappuccino and a latte? Like, they're just a bunch of milk and if you don't drink the cap fast all the foam just kind of collapses anyway.

This is one of the reasons we don't use the Italian naming conventions on our menu: too much uncertainty about what a particular drink is supposed to be. As most other people have said, the foam/milk issue is a distraction and is about personal taste more than anything. With all of the espresso based drinks, one starts with espresso and adds steamed milk. The difference between all the drinks is about how much milk one adds. Generally...

A cortado is 2oz espresso plus 2oz milk (1:1)
A cappuccino is 2oz espresso plus 4oz milk (1:2)
A latte is 2oz espresso plus 6-8oz milk (1:3 - 1:4)

You are really just making the choice of how much you want to dilute the flavor of the espresso with milk. Cortados and cappucinos tend to be favored by people who like the flavor of espresso, and lattes by people who don't. Anything beyond a 1:4 ratio of espresso to milk and you might as well just be drinking warm milk. This is why you get shops that serve 16oz lattes with 4-6oz of espresso, etc, a la Starbucks.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dude, is the 5th street outpost open yet? What's the parking situation there like? When do you guys usually get your shipment of beans in? I need to head back and when I run out I'd like to plan a visit on, say, a Thursday if that's when stuff usually comes in. Also I just like the original spot.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah I always thought the distinction was between the amount of milk not quality of foam. At least for real sized cap and not whatever size Starbucks pours it at.

In Australia they call an Italian size cap a flat white as opposed to a larger regular American sized cap. But they also tend to fall for the difference is the quality of milk bs

joshuadowen

Reaction score
Dude, is the 5th street outpost open yet? What's the parking situation there like? When do you guys usually get your shipment of beans in? I need to head back and when I run out I'd like to plan a visit on, say, a Thursday if that's when stuff usually comes in. Also I just like the original spot.

So we are open at SQ5 on Spring/5th, but it's really just a walk-up bar, not a real store. We also took over the coffee bar for West Elm at Ponce City Market.

I know we ship beans to stores weekly, but not sure what day of the week. Ordering from the website isn't too bad, and everything is roasted to order.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

We also took over the coffee bar for West Elm at Ponce City Market. 

Didn't know that... that's pretty sweet for you gusy. the problem is I'd hafta go ot PCM.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads