• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah the gimme locations are all very friendly unless their super busy.

this was at a local brunch place that is a typical hippy, locavore, organic hoohah. they weren't busy at all. barista was literally doing jack ****, just chit chatting with waitresses.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I assumed you were at Gimme. Restaurants usually could not care less about their coffee service. I wonder how many of them even clean their espresso machines, much less know grind size affects extraction.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had coffee today with my girlfriend at Think Coffee on 4th ave. Every time I have been there it has been ****.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah, I assumed you were at Gimme. Restaurants usually could not care less about their coffee service. I wonder how many of them even clean their espresso machines, much less know grind size affects extraction.

It is crazy really. I have been to restaurants with $10,000 espresso machines and $2,000 grinders and a staff that doesn't know a portafilter from a French press. Probably 30 day old beans to boot.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
fwiw i like the place. good food. reasonable prices for local foods. they make most things (breads, condiments, charcuterie) in house, which is kind of amazing in this day and age

this is what they ahve on their website

A central focus of the Carriage House Café is on fine coffees and teas.

For coffee drinkers, we proudly serve expertly brewed coffee from our famous award-winning local roaster "Gimme! Coffee," never allowing the beans to exceed their ideal shelf-life of 5-7 days.

Our espresso shots are a triple ristretto, ground to order, never allowing leftover grinds to be used for the next shot. Each latte, cappuccino, and macchiato poured by our baristas is topped with beautiful art, our indication to you that the utmost care has been taken in every step of the preparation. Our powdered cocoa and delicious syrups are all made in-house.

Each pot of our brewed coffee is freshly ground and brewed with softened and filtered drinking water — held for a maximum of 30 minutes — so you can always count on experiencing the freshest flavor.

Every one of our baristas is highly trained, to ensure that your drink will be masterfully prepared by someone who sincerely aspires to serve you the best coffee you've ever had.

Finally, all our equipment is meticulously cleaned and re-seasoned at least once a day, in order to achieve the most excellent flavor.

maybe it was just a function of the kind of shot they pull? i dunno. i've had espressos at gimme locations plenty of times and def was not as overextracted as this one.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, that's a rarity! They are definitely saying all the right things, but it's the final result that matters. Maybe they had a bad day? When I was keeping track, I'd have to say that 3 out 5 espressos at my local specialty coffee shop was wrong in some way --- not undrinkable, but definitely far from optimal. I've had similar experiences in other shops as well. It's not an easy drink to get right.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
had some Keurig this morning at the office. DISGUSTING. Had some Blue Bottle made via Chemex after lunch....AWESOME. :slayer:

bought a bag of the blue bottle beans. If you're in Beverly Hills they have them at Vosges chocolate on Beverly.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see any reason why you couldn't send a drink back but since a shot happens so quickly and is such a small volume, psychologically, I consider it non-returnable. I know that doesn't make sense but I just kind of deal with it. And to be honest, I am not super picky about espresso. I know what I like but I am afraid to complain about what I don't like because maybe I am "wrong"

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't see any reason why you couldn't send a drink back but since a shot happens so quickly and is such a small volume, psychologically, I consider it non-returnable. I know that doesn't make sense but I just kind of deal with it. And to be honest, I am not super picky about espresso. I know what I like but I am afraid to complain about what I don't like because maybe I am "wrong"

this is totally me. imo i dont have enough experience to make a judgment call, but i do know how i prefer an espresso to be.

also i really really really love your pourover stand

Steve Liu

Reaction score
Anybody here order beans from sweetmarias.com? Stumptown is great but these guys are the real deal. They got this Ugandan Mbale Bugisu and its BOMB

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
used two filter papers in my aeropress, made such a difference. less gravity filtration, more pressure after steeping.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anybody here order beans from sweetmarias.com? Stumptown is great but these guys are the real deal. They got this Ugandan Mbale Bugisu and its BOMB

Do you roast your own beans? What kind of roaster do you use? Sweetmarias has so much good information about coffee in general, and I love his crazy videos.

used two filter papers in my aeropress, made such a difference. less gravity filtration, more pressure after steeping.

Interesting. That must be a pretty hard push. I'm grinding my beans finer to try to get more flavor extraction from them, and even with the (single) paper filter in the Aeropress, I get very fine grit left in the cup. Maybe double filters might help that.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, another pissed off Gimme rant... I woke up a bit early today to walk the mile to Gimme to get beans for the work week. What was I thinking? The definition of insanity if doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Not one bag of beans was under 10 days old. What the **** is wrong with these people? I think they know they are fucked up too because as I grab the bags and turn them over to look at roast dates they get all nervous and come up to me, "Uhh, sir are you looking for a specific coffee??? I can help you." Every time they also are conveniently getting more beans in "later today". ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads