1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

One of my favorite cups on the regular is when I reach the last few grams of a roast and mix with a new batch that I roasted a day or so earlier. Most recently was the last 12 grams of Guatemala Acatenango Gesha with 8 grams of fresh Ethiopia Yukiro Cooperative.

Since the ratio of last batch to fresh batch is never the same, it's like a box of chocolates. I never know what I am going to get.

2 people like this.
  2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Haven't had Stumptown in a good while. Just bought a cup. Terrible.

1 person likes this.
  3. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Varies a lot. Their blends are increasingly bad. Some of the higher-end single origins are still alright.

4. patrickBOOTH

This was their Colombian. Not feeling it at all. ~8 years ago I really enjoyed their coffee, but it's been downhill since then.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  5. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Colombia is one of the few countries from which roasters have access to fresh crop year-round. As a result it makes up the basis for a LOT of blends and volume generally. I suspect they are under a lot of pressure to reduce their costs on Colombian coffees.

6. patrickBOOTH

I know it! I was going to say it's pretty hard to screw up Colombian coffee.

7. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

@patrickBOOTH did you buy a cup at one of Stumptown's Portland locations? I've found that the location at the Ace Hotel in SW Portland and the one on SE Division still do a fairly good job, but I agree, the quality has gone down significantly in recent years.

In other news, here's what I'm drinking lately:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. patrickBOOTH

No, NYC. If a coffee is so fickle that it has to be brewed just right at a particular location it is rather telling, imo.

9. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

Haha yeah, that's a good point.

10. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

This might be heresy to some, but what do you use to sweeten your coffee? I can't drink coffee black. I use 5-6 grams of raw sugar or coconut sugar. I recently met with a nutritionist who wants me to cut sugars. I tried monk fruit, but it tasted like I watered down the coffee. Maple extract was also suggested.

Any other suggestions for low sugar sweeteners?

11. catwood1

catwood1 Member

Get a better nutritionist. ;)

Although aside from that, I drink coffee in a number of ways. Pour overs black. Cold brew black. Espresso + Steamed milk in various amounts of milk, and cool milky sweet things. Some cool drinks include:

Low milk iced lattee + Citrus peel simple syrup shaken. (Stolen from intelligencia)

3oz cold brew + 2oz tonic water, over 1 big ice cube ideally made from cold brewed cascara, but I'm lazy and I just make mixed berry tea, then make the ice out of that. Still fabulous.

12. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Sounds like you're not looking for artificial sweeteners? I only use sweetener in iced coffee, but I just use Splenda. Works fine for me. Stevia tastes weird in coffee for me.