• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, I went from aeropress to Hario pour over. Be sure to use the aerpress upside down.

Last edited:

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Gaggia Classic. Good for your price range, terrible for milk foaming unless you do some modding. You can get fairly consistent starting temperature by timing how long to preheat machine. Intrashot temperature is questionable, but about as good as a single boiler will do. I think it's a good entry level machine. I'll probably splurge on a double boiler in a few years but this machine was great for learning the basics.

Hm I thought Rancilio Silvia was around same price range as it's the other suggested entry level machine, but the new V3 is a lot more expensive..?

I liked aeropress when I didn't have espresso machine. I think it works better with espresso blends / darker roasts. Pourover is better for brighter stuff as it's a bit more mild. Try out both inverted and standard, grind size, dose. Infinite recipes and there is no best, just drink lots of coffee and be happy.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Gaggia Classic. Good for your price range, terrible for milk foaming unless you do some modding. You can get fairly consistent starting temperature by timing how long to preheat machine. Intrashot temperature is questionable, but about as good as a single boiler will do. I think it's a good entry level machine. I'll probably splurge on a double boiler in a few years but this machine was great for learning the basics.

Hm I thought Rancilio Silvia was around same price range as it's the other suggested entry level machine, but the new V3 is a lot more expensive..?

I liked aeropress when I didn't have espresso machine. I think it works better with espresso blends / darker roasts. Pourover is better for brighter stuff as it's a bit more mild. Try out both inverted and standard, grind size, dose. Infinite recipes and there is no best, just drink lots of coffee and be happy.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll hit up a couple of local coffee supply shops and will check out the Gaggia.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Coffee and Doughnuts. Went to Doughnut Vault for the first time this morning. As good as everyone says.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The coffee is my own, picture taken at my desk. Two week old bag of Papua New Guinea Kunjin I want to finish so I can open the Wendelboe beans I received yesterday. This coffee is just OK. The best part is the sweet finish after this coffee cools down

Last edited:

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what i do and the favorite of the Neapolitans to take at home.

80% Arabica
20% Robusta ( I got no idea if this is bad or good, but this is the best i have ever had)

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I can't believe I am actually going to do this...but I will give it a try.

According to this forum thread:
http://www.coffeed.com/viewtopic.php?t=2489&f=17
and this website:
http://blog.paradiseroasters.com/post/22073260807/the-perfect-cup

My cheap brix unit should work, just multiply brix by 0.85 to get dissolved solids. It has auto temperature correction and reads in the right range. Unclear however if I will be able to pick out enough resolution to tell anything beyond way overextracted/way under extracted/maybe OK...I remember with my homebrew, it was a little hard to get a particularly precise reading, and the differences here seem rather small.

i was reading scott rao's expresso :)D) book and he keeps harping on about extraction. i just found that first thread again and i was wondering if you ever got a chance to measure your extraction and if you felt like the adjustments made the coffee worth the trouble

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new + panel for my Behmor has started my learning curve again. I hammered a roast of Gesha this morning. I was targeting 15% weight loss (City-City+) and got 17% (Full City-Full City+). I would usually be fine with 17%, but Gesha is the one varietal that everyone says should not get anywhere near 2nd crack. I will find out in a couple of days how it impacts the flavor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics