1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

You're a geek. Everything is organic and had minerals and such in it. I think you mean carbon based organisms.

2. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior Member

One of the issues with SE Asian coffees is that regional practices often include drying right on the ground. This is where so many of the earthy dirt flavors come from.

3. b1os

b1os Distinguished Member

100% Canephora is very earthy.

4. A Y

A Y Distinguished Member

Indonesian coffees are milled and transported a certain way, which gives them their distinctive taste, but drying on dirt, etc. really has nothing to do with the taste.

I recently had one of the most amazing Indonesian coffees I've ever had from our local roaster: sweet toffee was the overriding note, with herbaceous notes sneaking in later. Here's the spec sheet from the distributor: http://www.royalcoffee.com/images/infosheets/Sulawesi Washed Toarco Jaya.pdf

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Stylish Dinosaur

That's probably it. The best was from Peets, which roasts darker. The ones from Stumptown and Intelligensia did nothing for me.

My taste buds are not refined enough to tell the difference. Perhaps I need to eat more things I find on the ground.

6. A Y

A Y Distinguished Member

7. Fueco

Fueco Distinguished Member

I think your definition of organic is off a bit... Inorganic materials are those created by geological forces (think of sand/dirt being ground down from rocks). I'll admit that dirt is not a technical term, and people usually mean "that stuff on the ground" when they use it. I apologize, I studied way TOO much biology, ecology and geology in high school and college.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inorganic_compound

I'll take geek as a compliment.

But yeah... I'm currently drinking a Celebes Kalosi from Coffee Society (Cupertino, CA). I think this is their best offering, and the darkest roast brings this to life. I can taste the nuttiness, with perhaps a hint of peat and a trace of "dirt". I like it. It's not my favorite coffee ever, but considering that I only stopped in to get some caffeine on my way to drop my car off for service, it's outstanding.

8. patrickBOOTH

Has anybody been to Roasting Plan in NYC? I have walked by it a million times, but for whatever reason never ventured in. Based on their website I would say it is one of the only places in the city that you can get some Full City and Full City+ coffee other than Starbucks.

9. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

went into propeller on manhattan - very bizarre place. crowded but deathly quiet (literally not a human voice - only tapping on computers) there was no obvious line, and the spot that looked like where I should go at the corner of the bar would've blocked the way to back so i sidled up to the bar. barrista smiled at me and said hi, so i said hi, i'll have a medium coffee. she responded in an icy tone 'i'll be glad to serve you once i've helped these other people (indicating 2 dweebs next to me silently gaping at their phones/computers. ok, 20 seconds later i had the worlds' smallest coffee and as i tried to ask for a bag of beans she moved off to the next drone. when i got outside my car had been sprayed w/ in greenish birdsh!t

10. patrickBOOTH

Boo! Sorry to hear about that experience. I'll punch the owner in the face the next time I see her. Now that you mention it it has always been eerily quiet when I have been in there too. I don't go often because it is out of the way for me and they serve Toby's, which I can get at Toby's. It is ok, but not my favorite. I am usually stopping into Variety. It is kind of the opposite environment. Rowdy, loud, but usually Stumptown Ethiopean Yirg by French Press.

11. Despos

Despos Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Tried pulling shots with Ethiopean Yirgacheffe and didn't like it at all. Will venture into french press with it.
    It's also from a different roaster who I haven't tried before.

12. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior Member

Parameters?

You could try pulling it hotter or cooler to draw out the right characteristics.

13. patrickBOOTH

Depends on the roast, but more so Yirgs have a good amount of acidity and pressurized methods such as espresso bring that to the forefront. French press will only slightly, but you are probably going to like it a lot more using a regular brewing method. Like press, or clever.

Most Ethiopian coffees at third wave places are roasted too lightly to work as a good espresso, partially the reason why I stopped ordering espresso at most "hip" cafés where they pull light ass shots that taste like vinegar.

14. Despos

Despos Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I think it was 16g or 18g, don't remember, on an HX, not sure of temp. Will try on a DB with PID at different temps

Any other ideas? I think it's just a tough bean to use for espresso

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014

15. A Y

A Y Distinguished Member

Single origin beans are really, really, really tough to pull as espressos. I'd say enjoy it in a conventional brew, and get a good espresso blend for the espresso. I know: not very adventurous, but there it is. Also +1 on pB's comments about roast levels: espresso really needs a dark roast. What's the bean and roaster that you tried?