Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Thanks for the info. I'm going to start researching again too, as there are some new options since I last did this (~5 years ago).

I was getting beans from Sweet Marias as well. It's convenient enough, since it ships from 40 miles from where I live (assuming they haven't moved).

2. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Still in Oakland, right across the bay. Takes a day to show up after my order. I only get coffee in a shop or cafe when I travel now. Even then, I prefer to pack my Aeropress and some beans I roasted myself over taking my chances with local coffee.

3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Currently enjoying a Jamaican Blue Mountain from Philz... Definitely the best coffee I've gotten here, but not all that.

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

yeah I'm generally not a big fan of jamaican blue or hawaiian beans. unless the roast itself is dialed in well and itself is interesting it just kinda tastes bland to me. maybe i haven't developed that "sophisticated euro palate" yet. maybe not bland but just not that interesting

5. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'm not a huge fan of the Jamaican stuff, I just had to try it once.

Kona coffees can be hit or miss. My favorite was one that I picked up at the plantation in person. It was basically a Full City roast of the estate peaberry from Greenwell Farms (I highly recommend their tour if you're ever in the area -the tasting patio is an added bonus). Good stuff, but not really worth the price is you're paying to have it shipped from Hawaii).

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

next time I'm in hawaii ill check em out. the ones I've had so far (even in hawaii) just were not worth the price. definitely great quality tho (but also kind of uninteresting)

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Fair enough. There was another good one too, Lions Gate, as I recall. They sponsored a race I did out of Kona, so I got a 1/2 pound bag as part of the goodie bag for the race. I actually tend to prefer coffees from Sumatra, Sulawesi, Bali, etc... Another one I like that a lot of people can't stand is India Monsooned Malabar (home roasted and all).

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i don't think I've actually had Indian coffee (or sulawesi or bali). sumatras sometimes really hit the spot. I also prefer the sumatras I've had over pretty much any java i've had. similar character but theres this nice complexity and depth to the sumatra coffees

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

All the Indonesian coffee I've tried tastes like dirt. Maybe I'm not doing it right.

10. RikBe

RikBe Member

If you really want to warm up and since it is "à propos" with the Olympics, try a Russian Coffee using your own favorite freshly brewed coffee.
    Just add vodka (I use Smirnoff kissed caramel flavor) with a bit of brown sugar (or not if your vodka is already sweet) and top with, off course, whipped cream! Delicious Oh! And can also bring you xtra ssss...sweetness for valentine's day ;) But don'T forget to brush your teeth afterwords!!!!! Cheers!

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Yeah dirt. But the few good Indonesian ones I've had have this depth of flavor that goes beyond dirt.

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

It shouldn't taste like dirt. I think you could describe it as an intense earthy flavor. The Malabar has an earthy flavor with notes of tobacco, so perhaps that's just the flavor I like.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love Indonesian coffees. It seems that they are just easy to screw up. For whatever reason the few times they are actually offered at third wave places they are bad. I think it is a combo of them not sourcing from there often enough to know how to pick green coffee, knowing nothing about the region, and not roasting them properly. In my experience under roasting Indonesian beans makes for an awful cup. The roast needs to be darker in order to bring out their natural sweetness.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^ totally agree with this. the roast has to be right and a bit on the darker side. somewhere between city plus and full city plus

intense earthy flavors tbh sounds liked dirt to me. i don't think its a derogatory descriptor but to me at least its pretty accurate

15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Dirt is inorganic. That's a very specific flavor. Earthy flavors would be organic materials. Thing like peat, moss, forest duff and other random detritus that makes up soil. It's not for everyone, but it can be unique and varies a lot between geographic regions.