1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

There's plenty of good green coffee out there if you are willing to pay for it. The reality is the most of the really big players don't bother with the good stuff anyway. Even the bigger specialty roasters aren't operating at high enough volume to corner the market on quality beans.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

He was saying paying for an entire container is insanely expensive so he has been tacking on the orders of others in the industry. I would think with all of the players it must be slim pickens, but I guess not.

3. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Yeah an entire container is a lot.

4. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King Senior member

I think you're right that for coffee the temperature control is awesome but not necessary since coffee brewing temps can generally be counted by seconds "off the boil". I would say that some pour over brew methods would be terribly difficult without a gooseneck kettle though. For those that drink tea in addition to coffee, the capability of holding an entire kettle at a constant, say, 65 celsius is really helpful for doing multiple rounds of steeping on temperature sensitive teas.

5. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King Senior member

I always notice a lot of small roasters offering coffees with the same name. Not sure if they're actually the same green coffees from the same lots but they do share the same names. Maybe they're just from the same plantation/washing/processing station?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Probably same importers or distributors. Like that yirgZ I had a while back is sold by I think spro coffee in Baltimore and colombe torrefaction.

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I think I'm going to have to jump off the coffee snob bandwagon. I picked up a two pound bag of Major at Costco and absolutely love it when brewed on the Aeropress.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. romafan

romafan Senior member

Wait, I thought Peet's, etc. WAS part of the coffee snob bandwagon? :confused:

9. patrickBOOTH

Depends on who you talk to.

10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I don't consider Peets part of the coffee snob bandwagon for several reasons..

1. It's as old as Starbucks.
    2. It's been in my area for far longer than Starbucks.
    3. I got my first cup of real coffee EVER from a Peets, and that was in the fall of 1995, well before the world knew what Third Wave Coffee was.

11. romafan

romafan Senior member

sigh...still don't know what 3rd Wave means. I had a cup of Starbucks at the gate in the Butte airport in 1989 - had never seen it before. It was in one of those pots like you see in diners sitting on a hotplate. Is that 1st wave?

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Starbucks, as I recall, is considered 2nd wave.

First wave is the crap Folgers, et al, sells in supermarkets.

13. A Y

A Y Senior member

Dark roast in an Aeropress is like magic. It's a great combination.

14. John75

John75 Active Member

Finally got a Bodum coffee press! Super happy with it and the result! Using a store brand 100% Arabica and it completely different than it did before...

2 people like this.
  15. patrickBOOTH

Walked into Everyman today. The menu: El Salvadorian, Colombian, Guatemalan. Walked right the fuck out.

1 person likes this.
  16. romafan

romafan Senior member

I don' think I've ever seen or been given a menu in a coffee bar. :confused:

Have you been to City of Saints yet?

17. patrickBOOTH

Haven't been to City of Saints yet. Everyman has like a menu on the counter. Also, Blue Bottle Chelsea upstairs at the "siphon bar" those motherfuckers actually do hand you a menu with food pairings and stuff. I laughed.

1 person likes this.
  18. A Y

A Y Senior member

19. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

IC, I got that Indian Ratnagiri in the sampler I just got. I am new to the roasting game and went a little too dark with it when I roasted last night. The Ethiopian ,on the other hand, turned out fantastic. Work in process.