Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

I think he tried to tell us this tale:

He and his partner (from here on called the other guy) planned on opening a café together. As it turns out, the other guy wants only old customers (?), yet size 38R prefers new customers (?). Hence, they started arguing and in the heat of the argument, size 38R unscrewed the other guy's head ("business partner not has head screwed on"). Thusly, he's opening the café on his own and will buy the coffee machine on his own too. The café will open in August. Any member of SF will get free coffee.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. b1os

b1os Senior member

Truly.

So, back to my Espro Press/CCD problem. Thoughts?

4. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

something like this....

5. A Y

A Y Senior member

It takes about 5 minutes for my CCD to drain once I pour in about 330 mL of liquid into it. Do you like the results?

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

So, you let it steep three minutes in the Espro Press, then let it drain for 5 minutes in the CCD, thus the coffee steeps between 3 and 8 minutes?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

7. A Y

A Y Senior member

Yes, basically. Most of it is in the cup in a minute or two.

8. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

Starbucks Ethiopia yirgacheffe was a tasty cup, treated myself yesterday. Nicely roasted so that it was not overly bright and acidic like African coffees tend to be. I did get a sense of tart strawberries or cherries like it said in the description or maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

Their Casi Cielo makes a pretty good cup as well given it's fairly cheap price compared to gourmet roasters.

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I only had the cielo regular brewed. I hated it.

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

I swear to god, brewing coffee is weird. For the past week or so, I wasn't happy with a result once. I used two different coffees, all CCD, all Espro Press, all Aero Press, Espro Press/CCD, different grind sizes etc. to no avail.
    I've had to get a new CCD (v2, looks great) because my old one fell down once to often and leaks a bit now, so today I brewed my first cup with it (Espro Press/CCD) and what can I say, it tastes great. :tinfoil:

11. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Church. Neither repeatable or predictable.

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

How odd. Maybe the old CCD had residual coffee oils on it that was messing things up? If I'm not lazy, I'll occasionally soak my CCD in an Oxyclean solution. It doesn't get the valve silicone white again, but it does clean up a bunch of things.

I saw this Sprudge article today, and got some ideas for tweaking this method further: http://sprudge.com/interview-todd-carmichael-north-east-brewers-cup-champ.html

Highlights:

- He glues (glues!!!) the Bonavita's temperature base to the kettle so it maintains its heat. I think this is silly because the amount of heat the kettle will lose when you pour the water will be trivial or nothing.

- He uses 2 cones: a metal cone inside a paper filter. He has 3 candy cane glass rods (you can see this in the video) to suspend the two filters, so that neither one touches each other except at the very top, and the paper filter doesn't touch the Chemex vial.

- He does full-immersion brewing (steeps it, like us), except in a ceramic cup (not like us, boo!). I think our method is better due to better heat retention, but ceramic's probably not too bad.

Anyway, I'd like to try a Chemex filter next, moving away from the CCD, though the Chemex looks like a PITA to clean. The double filter method is interesting as it may alleviate your concern above about additional steep time due to draining time. I actually timed what I did this morning, and by about 2 minutes, it's pretty much 90% of the way drained. Unlike Todd, I do not want the last bits of liquid as that tends to be the most bitter.

13. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'm not at all sure why I didn't find this thread earlier... Proper coffee snob from the Bay Area here. I'm currently enjoying what might be a top 5 cup of all time from a cafe in The Heights neighborhood in Houston called Boomtown Coffee.

I've travelled a fair amount, and I'd put this place right up there with Crema (Nashville), Zoka (Seattle), Chromatic (Santa Clara, CA) and Blue Bottle (San Francisco).

15. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I only drink iced coffee or espresso. Both with no additivies, plain straight up.