Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

The Steampunk machines are designed for commercial use. The major benefit is that you can program parameters ahead of time and brew excellent single-serve coffee in about 60 seconds. I wouldn't argue that the coffee quality is inherently better than you'd get from other methods, but it's incredibly consistent, very fast, and less prone to user error. In a busy cafe, all of those benefits are hugely significant to customer experience.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Untrue.

3. joshuadowen

No? Oh well. I met one of the La Colombe techs at the Steampunk training course. At least one of their NYC locations must have one.

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I don't understand why Aerobie doesn't make a series of larger Aeropresses. It'd be great to be able to make my wife's coffee along with mine, instead of always using the French press.

5. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Two Aeropress = twice the volume

6. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

It does take some physical effort to use the aero press. Doubling it might make it even harder for the strength challenged. I have come close to tipping over taller cups using an aero press.

7. joshuadowen

Also, the Steampunk isn't a press of any kind. It's a siphon.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not gonna lie, a huge fear of mine is accidentally whipping the mug across the counter while using an aeropress.

9. joshuadowen

+1.

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

There's always that. I don't know why I don't want to do that, I already have the single cup one so I'd have two regardless.

Not so worried about the strength issue, but it could be a little dicey figuring out how to distribute the coffee into two cups. Fill up one big one then pour out, or what?

Was just jumping off from that conversation, didn't mean to imply they were similar.

11. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Not possible if your grind is correct.

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

My mistake in conflating Aeropress with the Steampunk, but the physics of both devices are much more similar than different: a pressure differential is what forces the coffee through the filter. Aero creates higher pressure above, while a siphon creates a vacuum below. In comparing a Yama stovetop siphon to an Aeropress, I have really not found any differences that are not attributable to filter (cloth in the Yama vs. paper or steel disk in the Aeropress) differences rather than extraction differences.

I haven't had any trouble with the Aeropress falling over during the press, even with really finely ground, very difficult presses, but I've had an incident once when I used it in the inverted configuration, and I didn't have the plunger on very securely and the whole thing fell apart spilling coffee (very expensive Geisha as it turned out) all over the counter.

If you're really worried, press into a steel milk frothing pitcher, which won't break, and whose base usually is bigger than its top, so it's more difficult to topple. That's how I press for sharing, too. The one I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FNK3Z4/

I think part of the reason the Aeropress works well is that the area of its paper filter is relatively small, so if you wanted to make a bigger one, you'd probably make it taller than wider. Maybe a lever like a potato ricer's might help with the press, too. You'd have to be careful pressing too hard, as the cap's seal against the body can leak and squirt coffee out the side.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013

13. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Hilarious as this happened to me not 10 min. ago. Not Gesha, though.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

From what I understand the vacuum in siphons isn't enough to suck the coffee in wholly. It's mostly gravity that causes the liquid to go in the bottom container. So even more similarity to the aeropress

15. A Y

A Y Senior member

Ouch. At least your home roasted coffee is cheap. :) I was trying to get as much volume in the Aeropress as possible, and probably didn't have the plunger in as deep as I should have. In a normal situation ( enough room for 220 grams of water), it hasn't felt insecure.

Ind, interesting fact about the siphon. I know that the Aero's seal is good enough that once the plunger is on and right side up, it doesn't drip due to gravity.