• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Sprezziamo

Reaction score
At home I do it in the Italian way:

(Sometimes I use Illy as well, a bit more commercial)

In Italian bars I always have Illy.

In London the only decent espresso I found was at Strada's, where, if you specify that you're Italian and you want it the classic Italian way, you get a fairly good espresso.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^That does not look like the product of a Bialetti. Not even a Brikka.

Sprezziamo

Reaction score
^That does not look like the product of a Bialetti. Not even a Brikka.

I'm at work, so I got all three images from Google.

In particular, I picked that one because it was the only one with the right amount of coffee and with a realistic colour. It looks fine to me though. Why does it look weird to you? Lack of creaminess?

Last edited:

Mon Dieu

Reaction score
To the fellow who asked about the "Clover" brew temp for "Aged Sumatra" which I drink every day..According to my SB guy the "Temps" and "Brew" time on the reserve coffees are programed into the machine via Ethernet cable and are not available to employees...

FWIW he did say that it is for the "Sumatra" 200 +

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

At home I do it in the Italian way: 1. (Sometimes I use Illy as well, a bit more commercial) 2. 3. In Italian bars I always have Illy. In London the only decent espresso I found was at Strada's, where, if you specify that you're Italian and you want it the classic Italian way, you get a fairly good espresso
So when you ask for Italian style what exactly are you looking for? They're not going to adjust the grind size for you or weigh out a different amount or change to a coffee with a different roast level.

Last edited:

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So when you ask for Italian style what exact are you looking for? They're not going to adjust the grind size for you or weigh out a different amount or change to a coffee with a roast level.

that's just code so that they don't spit in it

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

To the fellow who asked about the "Clover" brew temp for "Aged Sumatra" which I drink every day..According to my SB guy the "Temps" and "Brew" time on the reserve coffees are programed into the machine via Ethernet cable and are not available to employees...

FWIW he did say that it is for the "Sumatra" 200 +

I'm aware of the ethernet updates. If you ask 5 different people the temps you will get 5 totally different answers. They are ignorantly guessing.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So when you ask for Italian style what exactly are you looking for? They're not going to adjust the grind size for you or weigh out a different amount or change to a coffee with a different roast level.

FWIW, Nespresso aspires to the Italian ideal, I believe. Traditional Italian espresso tastes like a heavier, stronger coffee with none of the overwhelming acid, thick body, or lighter flavors in 3rd wave espresso. It's darker, more bitter, and just tastes like coffee. I think a lot of it has to do with the much lower dosing (<10g), and the blending and roasting style of the bean used.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have somewhat an idea of what an Italian espresso is. I was pointing out that you can't just walk into a cafe and ask for an Italian espresso if the beans aren't an Italian blend and the machine isn't dialed to that.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think he was speaking of a particular cafe that does this, not any of them.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another coffee question: has anyone tried the coffee shot, the latest trend to hit teh hipster coffee boutiques? Basically, it's brewing drip coffee in an espresso machine and getting extractions in the mid 20 percents. Locally, G&B Coffee in LA does this, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Sprezziamo

Reaction score
I think he was speaking of a particular cafe that does this, not any of them.
FWIW, Nespresso aspires to the Italian ideal, I believe. Traditional Italian espresso tastes like a heavier, stronger coffee with none of the overwhelming acid, thick body, or lighter flavors in 3rd wave espresso. It's darker, more bitter, and just tastes like coffee. I think a lot of it has to do with the much lower dosing (<10g), and the blending and roasting style of the bean used.

Bingo! When I was in Paris I had a Nespresso machine, and the "Ristretto" flavour was somewhat similar to the typical Italian coffee.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just highly doubt that the cafe had a separate grinder with fresh Italian style espresso blends just in case a customer came in and informed the barista he was Italian.

But who knows maybe they did.

Another coffee question: has anyone tried the coffee shot, the latest trend to hit teh hipster coffee boutiques? Basically, it's brewing drip coffee in an espresso machine and getting extractions in the mid 20 percents. Locally, G&B Coffee in LA does this, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Where a regular espresso is at 50%? So it's a really long espresso using drip coffee beans?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads