1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

In all seriousness, I just think it plain sucks. I usually end up with under extracted, thin coffee. I don't understand how you are supposed to end up with anything but given the variables. Most times I have had it they seem to uprose like crazy to make up for it.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Lol. I'm not upset about your preferences. In fact, I couldn't care less about the preferences of people I do not know in the slightest. But I care about people who somehow seem to belief their preferences are facts.
    That's the keyword.

3. patrickBOOTH

Wait, I take that back. They do suck.

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

5. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

There are many ways that a good barista or, in my case, home brewer can avoid under extraction without having to updose (which is what you meant to type). I use the Stumptown ratio of 15ml water per 1 gram of coffee and never end up under extracted.

Edit to correct that I never end up under extracted since I have learned the proper ways to prevent it.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  6. A Y

A Y Senior member

Updosing something that's underextracted will cause more underextraction. All else being equal, go the opposite direction and underdose if you are getting underextraction. I think this is why I like overdosed dark roasts with boiling water.

1 person likes this.
  7. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

The cup of coffee that got me into home roasting was a pour over. It absolutely changed me from really liking coffee, to loving it and the possibilities that come with roasting. It is still the best cup of coffee I've ever had, and I prefer having coffee with substance to it. None of that IHOP trash.

8. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

This is correct and is one of the tricks that a good barista will know and use. This also works for drip.

9. patrickBOOTH

I think this is part of the problem these days. Good baristas are few and far between. I remember about 6 or 7 years ago where they were excited about coffee and the coffee was better. They seem to be jaded here in NY. Just another food service job. Another part of the problem is a lot of the rosters that are present here have kind of converged and lost their identities in terms of their offerings and profiles.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  10. einstine

einstine Senior member

iHop lol where do you live that iHop would be a go to place for coffee?

1 person likes this.
  11. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Not as much of an issue in SF. Also a reason to DIY.

12. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

That's exactly my point. It's trash.

13. A Y

A Y Senior member

It's back: http://buy.stumptowncoffee.com/ethiopia-yirgacheffe-chelbessa.html

I had this the last time they offered it, and this is what I think light roasted coffee should be like. The coffee is delivered unsealed, so be sure to use it as soon as possible, because the delicate flavors that set it apart will go away faster than most other coffees.

1 person likes this.
  14. einstine

einstine Senior member

Both times I ordered Stumptown's coffee was all horrible out of the six bags I tried.

15. concealed

concealed Senior member

Ordered Stumptown once cuz I wanted one of their mugs, and shipping made sense. I didn't love it.

16. romafan

romafan Senior member

Does everyone buy their coffee through the mail now? :puzzled:

17. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I mainly do. I augment with the occasional Starbucks Reserve or Great Barrington Roasters if I happen to be in Boston

18. patrickBOOTH

It's mostly for people who live in the bumblefucks and don't have access to decent stuff.

19. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

:(

20. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I bought a bag last time I was in Stumptown and loved it. If I see one of their stores this weekend I'm getting some for sure.