1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

There's a lot of growth left yet. I think areas like New York and the West Coast are pretty saturated, but there's a lot of room left to grow in the rest of the country. At the same time, there's room for brands to grow even where the industry isn't. Blue Bottle buying roasters/cafe's down in L.A. is probably just the beginning. They'll be able to buy out more independents if they want.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just because you are opening up new stores doesn't mean you are going to necessarily see growth. The New York market is saturated with third wave cafes. I can throw a rock blindfolded and hit a third wave cafe. I know I am not the only one who consistently goes out of their way to find something different. (Eatly is literally the only place I can find true Italian espresso). If third wave was smart, like somebody else said they would expand to the burbs, not the metro area. The market that just goes to Starbucks, or Dunkin is never going to switch to Blue Bottle for their needs because, of taste, time, cost, convenience (waiting for pour over) regardless of how many there are.

3. joshuadowen

I agree that the real growth potential is outside of New York and SF, both of which are pretty saturated.

4. otc

otc Senior member

Has intelligentsia made plans to go east, or just to the west coast?

5. A Y

A Y Senior member

No idea. I didn't even know they owned Caribou.

Stumptown is also expanding into LA.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  6. joshuadowen

Yeah, both Peet's and Caribou were bought by a German PE firm. I think the plan is to convert all of the Caribou properties into Peets. Also, for those who didn't think coffee retail was a good investment, Caribou sold for $340 million.

7. deejaysoy

deejaysoy Senior member

Damn that's how much the OKC Thunder was sold for. Howard Schultz should have bought Caribou with that money.

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

That's only 33 Instagram cents. :)

1 person likes this.
  9. patrickBOOTH

Peet's needs to come to New York, ASAP.

10. lefty

lefty Senior member

Yes. Was at whole foods today and they carry the basic Peet's stuff, but none of the special roasts. Ended up buying some dumb shit I'll probably hate.

lefty

11. patrickBOOTH

I want to be able to go in a buy brewed coffee, not just their beans.

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

Has anyone tried Toms Coffee yet? I would punch its face if it had one, but I'm still curious about it.

13. joshuadowen

I'm sure it'll be fine. I think it was a mistake not to give it its own brand though - the association between throw-away footwear and specialty coffee probably doesn't work in their favor.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

I fear I may have bought Tom's coffee. It's the shoe company?

Phew, just checked - something called Cafe Grumpy. I'm sure it will suck.

pB, the Peet's stores really reek of burnt coffee. It's the reason I can't go into a SBs. I went fishing last week with a guy who services Clover machines in NYC. Still haven't tried one though.

lefty

15. A Y

A Y Senior member

Yes, the shoe company (which also does good by giving away something to a 3rd world country for every thing you buy from them), but they make the ugliest-ass shoes ever, and their logo design is really terrible.

Anyway, I'm curious about the coffee because they've got an experienced roaster on board, and they're selling it for much cheaper than most other specialty coffee. Whole Foods just started carrying them.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  16. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

What about cafe grumpy?

I tried them from being gifted a set of el Salvador. The quality was very good.

17. patrickBOOTH

Grumpy's ok.

I only buy Starbucks if they have the clover. Great system and great reserves.

18. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Wow, this turned out to be an amazing thread. Learned so much.

So, I'm facing an existential crisis and need input.

Aeropress or chemex?

I've been using Bodium FP + Skerton.

Thoughts?

19. patrickBOOTH

Chemex makes great coffee, but it is a royal pain in the ass, imo. Areopress is much more consistent and produces a great cup. I'd personally invest in a better grinder than a Skerton, which are kind of wobbly.

20. b1os

b1os Senior member

AeroPress and Chemex make very different coffee, imo. You should be able to answer that question for yourself--just try both somewhere. I'd recommend the Clever Coffee Dripper since I believe it's a smoother transition from FP.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014