1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

It's personal taste. I prefer a medium or dark roast to tame brightness or blending to balance.

Can't for the life of me take SO acid bombs in espresso.

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

One thing I'm very curious about is G&B's coffee shot. It's the cool new thing all the 3rd wave kids are doing: brewing drip coffee using an espresso machine with a resulting mid-20s extraction ratio. G&B are in the Grand Central Market.

3. Tyler from TO

Tyler from TO Member

Honestly prefer tea over coffee, however a nice dark Ethiopian roast is my favourite.

I personally love using a french press over a traditional coffee maker, how about you guys?

4. Gravitas

Gravitas Senior member

Thanks guys, I think I'll try G&B Saturday and Handsome on Sunday if they are still open when I am driving through.

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

What makes you say that a French Press isn't a traditional coffee maker?

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

I'm currently drinking a 70% Sidamo/30% Guatemala San Marcos espresso blend. Dark-ish light roast, prepared in the Espro Press. Great results.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I doubt anyone in this thread would be caught dead using a standard drip coffee machine, if that's what you mean by "traditional."

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I use a Technivorm Moccamaster. It's a drip machine

1 person likes this.
  9. ReversoLover

ReversoLover Senior member

Any one have any tips for Aeropress? I've been using the inverted method off guides on Blue Bottle, Stumptown, random YouTube etc.; but it's not measuring up to the Chemex...

10. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Can you be more specific? Hard to give tips without knowing what you are unhappy about exactly. It might be that you like the Chemex better, which is totally reasonable. I like the aeropress mostly because of how easy it is.

1 person likes this.
  11. b1os

b1os Senior member

The results will be very different. As Joshua put it, you may just prefer the coffee a Chemex yields. You may try a Clever Coffee Dripper too.

Other than that, play around with: steep time, agitation, grind size, amount of grounds, roast profiles.

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

OMG, Stumptown...... I haven't had a cup of their coffee in almost four years!

I'm looking forward to visiting Portland in May!

Can't help with the Aeropress, though I've been meaning to try one for a while.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Drip machines can be great if you get the right one. The problem is the price for that greatness doesn't make sense compared to a Bona Vita and a Clever dripper.

14. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I meant more like a Mr Coffee when I said "traditional."

15. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

The bonavita clone of the technivorm is affordable enough. I had considered it but decided to stick with CCD due to simplicity, single serve, and I brew coffee only for myself in the house. Everybody else prefers tea.

16. Tyler from TO

Tyler from TO Member

Hey guys, I should have been a bit more descriptive. I consider a drip to be traditional despite how ungodly it is.

I had a beautiful coffee today from some new beans in Panama, referred to as La Esmeralda. Anyone try it before? Aside from the price, it was by far the best I've had in a long time.

17. ReversoLover

ReversoLover Senior member

Sorry for the vagueness - so I'm doing the inverted method with a fine-coarse setting on my Hario Skerton hand-wound burr grinder (same consistency I use for the Chemex). I'm using a water temp of ~185-195 because it produces a flavor I find most palatable vs 200+. In terms of the agitation/steep time do you guys follow the 30 second bloom + 1 minute steep + invert or do you have another method? I like the coffee on the lighter/cleaner side accentuating the flora/fruity tones so should I steep for more/less time? I'm still pretty new at this and am trying to work out all of the kinks...I've contemplated cutting out an Aeropress size filter from the Chemex filter paper - has anyone tried this?

18. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

Yeah, it was most likely this - http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee/central-america/panama - I'm currently roasting it myself and it's a damn good bean.

19. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Are you overdosing and adding water after brewing? If so, I avoid that method. Best method I have found is Coava Coffee's - http://coavacoffee.com/blogs/news/9853248-coava-250-brew-series-aeropress.

I use a Porlex mini 3 clicks open. It's definitely not as clean as a Chemex or Woodneck, but a nice alternative.