• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk about clothes again: dark blue pocket squares

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's occurred to me that the MC forum has been a bit . . . 'distracted' lately. People are starting threads here and there that have nothing to do with clothing or style whatsoever. I won't name the culprits, but I thought it would be nice to turn our attention to the intended subject of the foy--ahem--forum.

I've been thinking about pocket squares. In the past, I bought way too many which have turned out to be nearly useless. Now, unless I have a reasoned need for one, I avoid looking altogether. I recently identified a potential gap in my collection: I have no dark blue squares.

It seems to me that a dark blue square (not necessarily solid) could be a nice, conservative choice that is easy to blend into an outfit--a decent alternative to the almighty cream square when I'm feeling goosey. But given that I typically wear a blue shirt, and often a blue tie, would it be too much blue? I figure maybe not, because my shirts are all light blue and my ties are almost never all dark blue.

Thoughts?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Turnbull and Asser has some nice dark blue with patterns. I have a few and use them from time to time.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Boooring.

So, about Thucydides. Is he really better than Herodotus, or is the conventional wisdom wrong?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Boooring. So, about Thucydides. Is he really better than Herodotus, or is the conventional wisdom wrong?
I have to admit, I prefer the discussion of hoplites and peltasts to the description of the geography of Persia. On the other hand, perhaps the most useful information in either book was about the culture that made difficult decisions by voting as a family once while sober, and once while drunk. One can only imagine why their civilization did not prosper forever.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Turnbull and Asser has some nice dark blue with patterns. I have a few and use them from time to time.

Hmm maybe I'll go take a look today. Charvet sometimes has nice ones too.

Originally Posted by grimslade
Boooring.

So, about Thucydides. Is he really better than Herodotus, or is the conventional wisdom wrong?

Unless this 'Thucydides' and 'Herodotus' are Greek and Latin* for different shades of dark blue that one might plausibly find in a pocket square, I assume you care nothing about the integrity of this forum.

* Yes, I know Herodotus was Greek, but you used the Latin spelling.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I have already reported mafoofan and asked the moderators to lock this thread for inappropriate content.

I don't hear boots marching this way, so I assume I'm safe for the moment.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Hmm maybe I'll go take a look today. Charvet sometimes has nice ones too.

I find that Charvet squares are better on display than they are in real life, though I like the one you have been using. I think the problem is that they are generally only two colors, and I think that a good pocket square needs more than that if it is going to both coordinate and clash in a nice manner.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Thucydides" is not "Greek" transliteration either; that would be Thukydides, maybe. All of our Greek names are traditionally transliterated through Latin, for reasons that have to do with history and tradition, a topic of great importance to these fora--at times.

As for integrity, you got me there.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I find that Charvet squares are better on display than they are in real life, though I like the one you have been using. I think the problem is that they are generally only two colors, and I think that a good pocket square needs more than that if it is going to both coordinate and clash in a nice manner.

There is wisdom in your words. I think the two-color problem is exacerbated by their use of big, splashy graphics. I don't mind so much when they keep things simple--and sometimes, I just have to have it. I was heartbroken when I found the 'snowflake' one with the French blue background at Bergdorf but it had a giant run going through it; I was downtrodden for weeks until I found an undamaged one at the store in Paris.

I have come to really love the Rubinacci scenic and figurative print squares--particularly the ones with black borders. I would never have thought they'd be so useful.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Thoughts?

My thought is that since squares are among the least dear sartorial investments, you should get a dark blue one and then report back on your findings.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
My thought is that since squares are among the least dear sartorial investments, you should get a dark blue one and then report back on your findings.

This is the thinking process that got me stuck with three dozen useless squares to begin with.

woolymammoth

Reaction score
my only dark blue...a little crazy but I like it...
photo.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
This thread disappoints.

The only thing that disappoints is the lack of interest in helping me choose a single new pocket square.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads