• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smittycl, here is it January and I've already bought half my 12.6. Most are about politics. I was thinking I need to get back to fiction. But politics today can read stranger than.
I'm moving at the same pace I think. All politics along with climate change, paleontology, geology, cosmology and such. I need to work a little more fiction into the mix.

I have David Mitchell's Utopia Avenue mocking me from the bedside table but haven't found myself in a Mitchell-mood yet. His books take some focus.

Reactions: RSS

krudsma

Reaction score
I'm moving at the same pace I think. All politics along with climate change, paleontology, geology, cosmology and such. I need to work a little more fiction into the mix.

I have David Mitchell's Utopia Avenue mocking me from the bedside table but haven't found myself in a Mitchell-mood yet. His books take some focus.

I just bought that! It's next-ish on my to-read list. I'm still chasing the high of Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, which I liked as much if not more than Cloud Atlas.

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
Has the Gdoc for "On -Cores" been linked yet?

This is now the usual mode for -cores: not movements, not even necessarily emergent trends, though that is somewhere closer to the truth. At its purest, it’s a descriptor of interlinked phenomena. Words evade it but long descriptions and analyses will do, and these descriptions become bundled up in a particular -core.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought that! It's next-ish on my to-read list. I'm still chasing the high of Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, which I liked as much if not more than Cloud Atlas.
Thousand Autumns was outstanding and I really enjoyed Cloud Atlas. I've read all his stuff except Black Swan Green and the latest. I read Bone Clocks while on a dive trip and all I could think of when looking at coral and wildlife was getting back that night to knock out another chapter!

krudsma

Reaction score
Thousand Autumns was outstanding and I really enjoyed Cloud Atlas. I've read all his stuff except Black Swan Green and the latest. I read Bone Clocks while on a dive trip and all I could think of when looking at coral and wildlife was getting back that night to knock out another chapter!

Bone Clocks is so good! I blew through that one as well. I picked up Ghostwritten and Slade House on my last trip to the bookstore so those are in the to-read pile as well.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bone Clocks is so good! I blew through that one as well. I picked up Ghostwritten and Slade House on my last trip to the bookstore so those are in the to-read pile as well.
His Number 9 Dream was a bit hard for me to get into. I also liked the two you just mentioned.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good French or English translation of Hamsun's Sult? Something like Nabokov's Russian translations, which attempt to translate the artistic feel into the new language and culture as well as the words.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, The Smiths' aesthetic was very similar, so you might call them precursors. Certainly my friends at university who were into The Smiths, and the Pastels and other C86 bands (as they were known back then), all used to dress in this way, with big overcoats, and most of it thrifted.

Morissey himself was deliberately going for a 'James Dean as a queer book-lover' look.

Living in the grey damp North of England, I got into The Smiths fairly early and they were a refreshing change from the corporate electro pop of the time, some of the songs still make me laugh today.

A lot of Northern British kids adopted the look with the NHS specs/big Quiffs and charity shop clothes he was definately a different kind of style icon to anything that went before him, Manchester really became the style capital of the UK from this point onwards and produced some great bands.

It's nice to see this style come around again, let's hope the music is as good

I think Rick Deckard's retro/future outfit was also probably quite influential at the time and still looks cool nowadays

7fdb43d3dcaa80dd749e7af5c900bf07.jpg

Last edited:

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good French or English translation of Hamsun's Sult? Something like Nabokov's Russian translations, which attempt to translate the artistic feel into the new language and culture as well as the words.
I mean, I think Lyngstad's is the only decent translation available, right? I've never heard anyone rhapsodize about it, which doesn't necessarily mean that it's not worth rhapsodizing about. But I do know that it's supposed to be much better than the one it replaced, and this isn't a novel where there's a wealth of choice (as far as I know, which isn't terribly far). I've read it and liked it quite a bit, although haven't read the others so can't personally compare.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thousand Autumns was probably my least favourite of his books. The switch from the brilliant and atmospheric section in the Dutch trading post to the orientalist B-Movie with evil baby-killing villains was inexplicably bad.

But I seem to be the only person in the world who thinks this.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Living in the grey damp North of England, I got into The Smiths fairly early and they were a refreshing change from the corporate electro pop of the time, some of the songs still make me laugh today.

A lot of Northern British kids adopted the look with the NHS specs/big Quiffs and charity shop clothes he was definately a different kind of style icon to anything that went before him, Manchester really became the style capital of the UK from this point onwards and produced some great bands.

It's nice to see this style come around again, let's hope the music is as good

I think Rick Deckard's retro/future outfit was also probably quite influential at the time and still looks cool nowadays

View attachment 1739363
Reminds me also of Phil Daniels in Quadrophenia.

1642544247950.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thousand Autumns was probably my least favourite of his books. The switch from the brilliant and atmospheric section in the Dutch trading post to the orientalist B-Movie with evil baby-killing villains was inexplicably bad.

But I seem to be the only person in the world who thinks this.
I think that book connects directly to Utopia Avenue from what I’ve heard. I mean, all his books intersect at some level of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads