• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
REM and co. were the US equivalents, definitely.
Found another one with max big coats.

1642512769941.png

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Source? Unless you're counting individual socks, I have a hard time believing this.
I’m silently citing my 60 number from an academic article on evolving notions of waste, which I can’t immediately recall the title of, but this figure (or a higher one) is available in multiple sources. Indeed, it’s apparently gone up to almost 70 since whatever year the article I was thinking of was published. This is according to Dana Thomas’s book, “Fashionopolis: The Price of Fast Fashion and the Future of Clothes.” Apparently this number is 5x what it was in 1980.

(And, anecdotally, if you think this is inconceivable, then go spend an afternoon watching people shop in an H&M.)

otterhound

Reaction score
This aesthetic may be the last way for a suburban middle-aged guy (a group in which I find myself) to wear any kind of tailoring in my hyper-casualized milieu. In the Dallas 'burbs, a tailored sport coat is nowhere to be seen and I'd be considered ridiculously overdressed wearing my well-fitting unworn ones, even over jeans. But I may be able to pull off a vintage, slubby, sack-styled tweed jacket worn over a denim shirt or frayed OCBD.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Source? Unless you're counting individual socks, I have a hard time believing this.

I don't know the number of garments per year (not sure how anyone would know this). But the BLS shows the average American household spends about $2,000 a year on clothes. I imagine this is mostly cheap clothing, so the number of units must be relatively high.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know the number of garments per year (not sure how anyone would know this). But the BLS shows the average American household spends about $2,000 a year on clothes. I imagine this is mostly cheap clothing, so the number of units must be relatively high.

Average household vs. average person (which, I think, is what zenos referenced) is quite a big difference, though. $2k spread across 3 or 4 people isn't a stretch at all in my mind.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Average household vs. average person (which, I think, is what zenos referenced) is quite a big difference, though. $2k spread across 3 or 4 people isn't a stretch at all in my mind.

Yes, although I don't think it's true that "most people don't buy a lot of new clothing." This may be true for middle-aged and older men but not true for women and younger people.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reactions: RSS

krudsma

Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is purely anecdotal, but I personally would get a lot of reading done on my bus ride to work. I imagine working from home plays at least a small part in this stat.
Yeah, but it’s a great kick bait title!

Reactions: RSS

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Smittycl, here is it January and I've already bought half my 12.6. Most are about politics. I was thinking I need to get back to fiction. But politics today can read stranger than.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads