• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm really not surprised to see some of the reactions here (which is why I suggested on page 1 that CM might not be the best part of the forum for this discussion), but I am quietly smiling in particular at the notion of members of a forum that promotes dressing like 1950s film stars as 'classic' and normal having issues with 'cosplay.' As I've said before, this is all cosplay, and more importantly, before anyone gets the wrong end of the stick again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Perhaps we can seek some other aesthetic critique than devaluing the contribution of particular subcultures to style... what this thread seems to be looking for is inspiration and connections across subcultural styles instead, and that is a good thing.
All of this aesthetic or "-core" nonsense is millennial bullshit. It's all to push an image none of these people actually live. Next week it will be "farmercore" and then a year later they will be "citycore". It's all cosplay.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not all member's opinions on this forum as useful, and posts like OldDog's are actively ******** up the forum.

Part of the small minority that will decry things as "cosplay" without a hint of irony or self-awareness.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really not surprised to see some of the reactions here (which is why I suggested on page 1 that CM might not be the best part of the forum for this discussion), but I am quietly smiling in particular at the notion of members of a forum that promotes dressing like 1950s film stars as 'classic' and normal having issues with 'cosplay.' As I've said before, this is all cosplay, and more importantly, before anyone gets the wrong end of the stick again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Perhaps we can seek some other aesthetic critique than devaluing the contribution of particular subcultures to style... what this thread seems to be looking for is inspiration and connections across subcultural styles instead, and that is a good thing.
I'd dress like I did above daily if I could but need to wear the City look mostly. Navy and gray in suit or sport coat/trouser combo for the most part. I like it but feel better in tweedy stuff personally.

The "bookcore" thing is amusing but already existed under a bunch of other names. Still, it's fun to discuss.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of this aesthetic or "-core" nonsense is millennial bullshit. It's all to push an image none of these people actually live. Next week it will be "farmercore" and then a year later they will be "citycore". It's all cosplay.

Isn't that the depression miner garb people think is cool?

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Isn't that the depression miner garb people think is cool?
I honestly can't keep track anymore. "-core" is basically fashion for the ADHD generation.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When CM starts discussing anything

3fr7ej.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When CM starts discussing anything

View attachment 1737553

Isn't the entire purpose of CM to not be trendy? That is why it is classic and timeless style. Don't you speak routinely against adopting trends? Or are we for tan shoes with no jacket now? All we have to call it is "tan-core"?

There's lots of great discussion here. There's threads about watches, shoes, jackets, pants, etc, that is filled with interesting discussion.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Isn't the entire purpose of CM to not be trendy? That is why it is classic and timeless style. Don't you speak routinely against adopting trends? Or are we for tan shoes with no jacket now? All we have to call it is "tan-core"?

There's lots of great discussion here. There's threads about watches, shoes, jackets, pants, etc, that is filled with interesting discussion.

If you're not interested in it, then leave the thread. I don't think anything can be said here that will change your mind about the aesthetic.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

krudsma

Reaction score
Was inspired to pop by my favorite bookstore today, and came across something I've been wanting to read in a nice old hardcover edition:

1642280375590.png

(as a member of the "ADHD generation" I'm sure I won't fully appreciate it)

Not sure if the outfit qualifies as bookcore, but the idea has definitely been one of my guiding principles this week:

1642280420820.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ah, c'mon. Trying to define a new category was bound to raise some hackles. Folks are bit grumpy in CM, though, you're right about that. Lots of harrumphing.

I don't think it's the same as Ivy style. I think the guys at Style & Direction and other places understand what I'm trying to get at. But if someone doesn't care for the aesthetic or thinks it's been covered before, it sounds like this thread then isn't for them and they should find something else they want to discuss.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's the same as Ivy style. I think the guys at Style & Direction and other places understand what I'm trying to get at. But if someone doesn't care for the aesthetic or thinks it's been covered before, it sounds like this thread then isn't for them and they should find something else they want to discuss.
Also worth noting you led (your book recommendation section) with Bourdieu, i.e. "if you don't get it, you're a peasant - and it's too late to get it, cos you'd have needed to grow up with it".

The Paris photos you picked, particularly the older women, are quite "BCBG". Was there any particular reason for them? I would say the French bookstore patronising population is more middle/working class and considerably less Catholic, even in Paris. @RJman would have a more up to date idea. Well I guess they might have bought Houellebecq's Soumission at the FNAC, and reactively got into Zemmour. (still haven't read Aneantir... thanks RJ...)

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
nvm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads