• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, the book the movie was based on is "The Club Dumas" by Arturo Perez-Reverte. Excellent read along with "the Flanders Panel." His work faded after those.

I need to read up on Bookcore as I suspect that's how I've been dressing casually my whole life.

If you read DWW's article, you're all caught up, seeing as he just invented it.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't access it from work apparently. Will read it tonight.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bookcore

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if dirty books stores are still around
because in there one would presumably encounter hardcore bookcore
Oh definitely. Here are a few that I visit: Station North Books / Viva Books / Red Emmas (which has 3 other floors of books in a separate part of the building, but this is the coffee shop side of things which is much cleaner - also, they're employee owned).

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fun fact, that was a "mumblecore" movie. The characters speak like normal people -- which is to say, they mumble, interrupt each other, stutter, repeat themselves -- which, with good directing, ends up feeling super natural.

I think good bookcore does that too. It makes me think... this person isn't following rules, this person is just

Woody Allen made some cool movies, but maybe he's not the best person to celebrate these days.

Almost everyone in Hollywood is a scumbag. We celebrate tons of horrible people. Sean Penn irrumated Madonna after repeatedly hitting her with a baseball bat. He's won several oscars.

Incidentally, Woody Allen reminds me of the East coat equivalent of this: Old upper West siders who go to Zabars.

krudsma

Reaction score
I loved the Bookcore article because it so perfectly captures the lifestyle I've slowly gravitated towards over the last few years. Something about aimlessly browsing a dusty old bookstore (my go-to in Chicago is Myopic) with a tote bag under your arm and no plans for the rest of the day is such a special feeling.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, yeah, that was more than a bit of a reach. A bit schlubby, a bit Absent-Minded Professor, more than a bit "clothes of any kind in earth tones," interesting glasses, kind of how I dress on weekends, actually.

Fun read, though. Well done. Cheers!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"irrumated"

I learned a new word. Thanks.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Almost everyone in Hollywood is a scumbag. We celebrate tons of horrible people. Sean Penn irrumated Madonna after repeatedly hitting her with a baseball bat. He's won several oscars.

None of this is justifiiable.

Incidentally, Woody Allen reminds me of the East coat equivalent of this: Old upper West siders who go to Zabars.

Fun fact, the east coast has bookstores too. A lot of them. I would daresay that the first bookstore you might think of when you see this article is the Strand in NYC.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
modes of bookcore ?

hennessy & ingalls for example is a specialty architecture + art shop in santa monica
dark carnival is a very good fantasy / adventure bookstore in oakland

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#bookcore #tiredofwearingCitysuitsdaily #gettingolderdressingforcomfort #boyer #earthtones #canaFedorabefarbehind?

bookcore 3.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None of this is justifiiable.

Fun fact, the east coast has bookstores too. A lot of them. I would daresay that the first bookstore you might think of when you see this article is the Strand in NYC.

I have frequently been to strand. Strand doesn't draw a bookcore crowd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads